Where Is the Intersection of Quantum Physics and Spirituality Leading?

In summary: People are talking about Quantum physics and many such things.But what thay are proving now is what is already told by spiritual leaders of Hinduism,taoism long time back...where is this leading to?Quantitative predictions come from quantum physics, which is different from other sciences. People are talking about it because it is new and exciting, but they are not proving anything. What they are doing is comparing quantum physics to what spiritual leaders have said about it for a long time. However, some of the things they are proving now are what these leaders have said in the past. This is leading to confusion because people do not understand the difference between what is scientific and what is spiritual.
drdolittle
people are talking about Quantum physics and many such things.But what thay are proving now is what is already told by spiritual leaders of Hinduism,taoism long time back...where is this leading to?

Physics news on Phys.org
quantitative predictions
computers would not work without Quantum stuff
How come long time back they did not have GPS ?

drdolittle said:
people are talking about Quantum physics and many such things.But what thay are proving now is what is already told by spiritual leaders of Hinduism,taoism long time back...where is this leading to?

Unfortunately, we can expect many more such attitudes towards QM in the near future, especially by those who have seen the awful movie/documentary "What the #$*! Do We Know". Other than the fact that the movie completely bastardized physics (and only those who have actually studied any physics would realize this), comments such as this reemphasize the conclusions of many surveys of scientfic literacy among the general public - that most people are not able to tell the difference between scientific evidence and anecdotal/inconclusive/faulty/bogus evidence.

This movie, btw, prides itself in exploring the metaphysical aspects of modern physics. And people wonder why physicists groan whenever we hear something like that...

Zz.

Last edited:
Similar docu's are shown on the Discovery channel sometimes. A scientific channel for crying out loud!

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, we can expect many more such attitudes towards QM in the near future, especially by those who have seen the awful movie/documentary "What the #$*! Do We Know". Other than the fact that the movie completely bastardized physics (and only those who have actually studied any physics would realize this), comments such as this reemphasize the conclusions of many surveys of scientfic literacy among the general public - that most people are not able to tell the difference between scientific evidence and anecdotal/inconclusive/faulty/bogus evidence.

This movie, btw, prides itself in exploring the metaphysical aspects of modern physics. And people wonder why physicists groan whenever we hear something like that...

Zz.

I saw the movie. The premise started out well enough, but it was strictly pick-and-choose in what it covered. I.e. trying to shock the viewer with tidbits. The people (presented as "scientific experts") interviewed were fairly weak.

What bothered me a lot was they presented as "fact" an experiment which purported to show that water could be controlled by the human mind.

As to DrDolittle's comments: I would be hard pressed to latch onto anything in the I Ching (or similar works) or in Hindu texts which has much to do with the formalism of Quantum Mechanics. The parallels are all in the mind, and there are plenty of counter examples as well. Ditto with Relativity.

DrChinese said:
I saw the movie. The premise started out well enough, but it was strictly pick-and-choose in what it covered. I.e. trying to shock the viewer with tidbits. The people (presented as "scientific experts") interviewed were fairly weak.

What bothered me a lot was they presented as "fact" an experiment which purported to show that water could be controlled by the human mind.

As to DrDolittle's comments: I would be hard pressed to latch onto anything in the I Ching (or similar works) or in Hindu texts which has much to do with the formalism of Quantum Mechanics. The parallels are all in the mind, and there are plenty of counter examples as well. Ditto with Relativity.

You are certainly more generous than I. I think I needed to be sedated after the movie. :)

What humanino tried to convey is exactly what most people do not understand about science, and physics in particular. We just cannot say "what goes up must come down". We must also be able to say "when and where it comes down". The quantitative aspect of physics is what makes it different than these religious beliefs and many other fields of studies. A handwaving argument is never more convincing than a valid quantitative description. Unfortunately, if we look closely, there are more people who put more credibility into such handwaving "evidence" than in the quantitative aspect of it.

Coincidentally, if anyone has access to the Science journal, don't miss the latest issue of it out today (Nov. 19th, 2004). This is a special issue on metrology, or the science of quantitative measurement of physical quantities that we use. Take note of the role of various quantum phenomena (especially superconductivity) in determining the physical constants and physical scales of what we use routinely. The fact that we use them, and depend on them, to give us these important values mean that these things are highly reliable and highly reproducible. The reliability and reproducibility of various phenomena and description in physics/science are something that many people either overlook, are unaware of, or simply trivialize.

Zz.

Iam deeply perplexed by those who foresaw the future by their ultimate intuition.I give credence to those spiritual leaders and physicists nowadays are proving nothing but what they foretold.Their philosophy was meant to be obscured due to the problem they faced with communicating in words what they bore in there mind.

drdolittle said:
Iam deeply perplexed by those who foresaw the future by their ultimate intuition.I give credence to those spiritual leaders and physicists nowadays are proving nothing but what they foretold.Their philosophy was meant to be obscured due to the problem they faced with communicating in words what they bore in there mind.

What you are forgetting is that if you make a prediction VAGUE ENOUGH, then anything can fit into it. We call this "wiggle room". Psychics do this all the time. The unfortunately part is that those who are taken in by such things don't even realize that they have been duped. Why? Because people like you do not realize what "quantitative" predictions mean and why such things are important to distinguish between hoaxes such as these and scientific predictions.

Besides, if I pay attention to all these predictions by all these "spiritual leaders", the world should have ended a few times already by now. It appears that many people, including you, do not pay attention to when they goofed!

Zz.

I can tell vehemently that none of the spiritual leaders has told about the end of world.Such hoaxes were told only by few American philosophers with no grounds.Spiritual leaders from India,China,Japan through there doctrines have attained awakening and have explained them with cogent reasoning.I wonder that this has inspired even some greatest minds of the world but not you.Atleast now start thinking and heed to there philosophies.

drdolittle said:
I can tell vehemently that none of the spiritual leaders has told about the end of world.Such hoaxes were told only by few American philosophers with no grounds.Spiritual leaders from India,China,Japan through there doctrines have attained awakening and have explained them with cogent reasoning.I wonder that this has inspired even some greatest minds of the world but not you.Atleast now start thinking and heed to there philosophies.

Oh, so now YOU get to pick and choose which "spiritual leaders" to listen to. Who appointed you and what makes you think you're right?

I'd advise you to do the same about studying physics, but I think you are incapable of doing that.

This thread is in the WRONG section of PF. However, I think we don't have a "Delusion" section to move it to.

Zz.

If you are incapable of understanding the reality and the gravity of my talk,dont call yourself to be well-read in physics as you don't possesses a basic knowledge of dissecting the facts.

drdolittle said:
If you are incapable of understanding the reality and the gravity of my talk,dont call yourself to be well-read in physics as you don't possesses a basic knowledge of dissecting the facts.
Okay, I'll bite.

I think it would be nice if we could find a connection between QM and spirituality. Can you give an example of a connection?

Regards

Zapper,
You have done a wondrous job keeping this thread about physics. Unfortunately the original poster is not reading the same responses I am. I must close this thread, even though your posts are golden.

If you wish to explore the spirituality of QM please do so in the philosophy forums.

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the behavior of particles and their interactions through principles of quantum mechanics.

2. What makes quantum physics different from classical physics?

Quantum physics differs from classical physics in that it takes into account the wave-like behavior of particles and the uncertainty of their properties. In classical physics, particles are seen as solid objects with defined properties, while in quantum physics, particles can exist in multiple states at the same time, known as superposition.

3. How does quantum physics relate to everyday life?

Quantum physics has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in electronics, computer technology, and medical imaging. It also helps explain phenomena such as superconductivity and the properties of materials at the nanoscale.

4. What are some key concepts in quantum physics?

Some key concepts in quantum physics include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These concepts help explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level and have important implications for technology and our understanding of the universe.

5. Is it possible to fully understand quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a complex and constantly evolving field, and there are still many unanswered questions. While we may never have a complete understanding of it, scientists continue to make new discoveries and advancements in the field, pushing our understanding further. As with any scientific concept, it is important to keep an open mind and continue learning and exploring.