Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taller People more successful?

1. May 9, 2004 #1
    Is it true that taller people tend to be more successful???
    stupid question I know but I had to ask

heh.. are people getting taller or shorter.. I mean.. I would say that new generations keep on getting taller but I am not sure..

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Good question. Looking around at the people I work with I cannot see any correlation between height and success. I don't know if any valid studies have been done on this.

4. May 9, 2004 #3

Janitor

Science Advisor

I am six-foot one inch.

5. May 9, 2004 #4
    Alexander the great was pretty short, and he was arguably the most sucessful person ever.

6. May 9, 2004 #5

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Stalin and Napoleon were shorties as well. Was Hitler tall? He never came across as being tall in the footage I've seen him in... but perhaps he had big guys arround him.

7. May 9, 2004 #6
    Deng Xiaoping whose Open-door and Reform policy in the 80's changes the lives of Chinese all over the world and the course of world history was pretty short as well.

8. May 9, 2004 #7

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Yes but Asian people are generally shorter. Was Deng taller or shorter than the people around him?

9. May 9, 2004 #8
    He was about 5"1'? short even by Asian standard.

10. May 9, 2004 #9
    Hawking a short dude.

11. May 9, 2004 #10
    heheh someone has it all mixed up then ;-P.. how about a counter argument.. ARE SHORTER PEOPLE MORE SUCCESSFUL THEN TALL PEOPLE

12. May 10, 2004 #11
    Taller people + Success = Negative

Average-Short people + Success = Positive

Why? because I believe so!

13. May 10, 2004 #12
    Taller people are absolutely seen as leaders and powerfigures by default, more often than short people.
    There's TONS on google about this.

There's also the rumor that ever since televised presidential debates have happened, the taller candidate has won - I'm too tired to validate this, but I stand by my first statement.

14. May 10, 2004 #13

ShawnD

Science Advisor

There's some truth to that, but it's based on looks. Before Kennedy and Nixon appeared on TV, it was generally accepted that Nixon won most debates on the radio. For the televised debates, people generally thought Kennedy won the debate.

15. May 10, 2004 #14

Njorl

Science Advisor

I don't know if tall people are more successful. I think people assume tall people are more competent for some reason, as long as they aren't too tall.

What I want to know is this. Are short people more violent? Everytime I hear about someone getting pissed off and shooting someone in an argument, he's 5'6". Maybe they're pissed off because tall people are getting all the respect!

Njorl

16. May 10, 2004 #15

Njorl

Science Advisor

It is suprising what engenders respect. A friend of mine was travelling in Malaysia not long ago. He happens to have a very large, curved and sharp nose. We have jokingly referred to it as a beak. He told us that he went to a nive resturaunt for dinner. They immediately got him a table though there were other people waiting. The waiter later told him that he had a very impressive nose. It was the "nose of the hawk". They told him he should be called sometthing in Malay that meant "nose of the hawk".

He never found out if they were really impressed with his nose, or if they were just having some fun with him.

Njorl

17. May 10, 2004 #16

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I've always seen it the other way around.
    Notice how the most violent kid in school is the big kid?
    Notice the guy at the bar who wants to start something is the big guy?

18. May 10, 2004 #17

Njorl

Science Advisor

I've noticed that in movies and TV, but not in real life.

19. May 10, 2004 #18
    Americans generally like taller people. Look at Lincoln. Or how about Ronald Reagan and Michael Dukakis. Reagan towered over Dukakis and that may have influenced his election (other than him being an actor, of course).

Hirohito was also very short.

20. May 11, 2004 #19
    "Nose of the Hawk" is "Paruh Helang" in Malay. :smile:

21. May 25, 2004 #20
    My observation about successful short height people is that they are normaly clever and present minded persons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?