Tan^-1 to PI Form: Get Help Here

• B
  • Thread starter axer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Pi
In summary, the conversation is about finding the answer for the expression tan^-1(1/-√3) using demovoier's theorem. The speaker initially received an answer of -30, but after setting the calculator in radians, realized that the correct answer should be 5π/6. They also mention that -pi/6 is equivalent to 5pi/6 in this case.
axer
Hello, so while i was doing my own revision. When putting tan^-1(1/-√3) i receive the answer as -30. however, (im doing demovoier's theorem) in the revision book it says the answer should be 5π/6 .

Help to brighten me? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are right because the principal value of arctan lies from -π/2 to π/2...

axer said:
Hello, so while i was doing my own revision. When putting tan^-1(1/-√3) i receive the answer as -30. however, (im doing demovoier's theorem) in the revision book it says the answer should be 5π/6 .

Help to brighten me? thanks.
make the calculation again but this time set the calculator in radians =D
if you give the answer -pi/6 don't worry is the same as 5pi/6, because tan(-pi/6)=tan(5pi/6)=1/-√3=-√3/3

1. What is the purpose of using tan^-1 to PI form?

The tan^-1 to PI form is used to represent the inverse tangent function in terms of pi. This allows for a more simplified and compact representation of the angle.

2. How do I convert tan^-1 to PI form?

To convert tan^-1 to PI form, simply divide the angle in degrees by 180 and then multiply by pi. The resulting value will be in terms of pi.

3. Can tan^-1 to PI form be used for any angle?

Yes, tan^-1 to PI form can be used for any angle. It is especially useful when working with angles that involve fractions or irrational numbers.

4. What is the benefit of using tan^-1 to PI form?

The benefit of using tan^-1 to PI form is that it provides a more concise and consistent representation of angles. It also allows for easier comparison and manipulation of angles in mathematical equations.

5. Are there any other forms of representing the inverse tangent function?

Yes, there are other forms of representing the inverse tangent function such as using degrees or radians. However, the tan^-1 to PI form is commonly used in mathematics and physics.