Solving for theta in a Trigonometric Equation

In summary, the given information shows that tan theta is positive and sin theta is negative, which means that cos theta must also be negative. This places the angle theta in the third quadrant. To solve for theta, one could use the identity tan theta = sin theta / cos theta, and construct a reference triangle with legs of length 12 and 5.
CrossFit415

Homework Statement

Tan [tex]\Theta[/tex] = 12 / 5, sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]<0

Homework Equations

Sin [tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\Theta[/tex]+ Cos [tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\Theta[/tex] = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Sin is less than 0 so... it should be somwhere in the II or III quadrant?

What identities should I use to solve?

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] is negative then [itex]\theta[/itex] is in either the third or fourth quadrants, not the second or third. But since [itex]tan(\theta)[/itex] is positive, that means [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] is also negative and so [itex]\theta[/itex] is in the third quadrant.

If you were to construct a right triangle with legs of length 12 and 5, what length would the hypotenuse be? If you are trying to find [itex]\theta[/itex] I don't believe you will find any simple value.

HallsofIvy said:
If [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] is negative then [itex]\theta[/itex] is in either the third or fourth quadrants, not the second or third. But since [itex]tan(\theta)[/itex] is positive, that means [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] is also negative and so [itex]\theta[/itex] is in the third quadrant.

If you were to construct a right triangle with legs of length 12 and 5, what length would the hypotenuse be? If you are trying to find [itex]\theta[/itex] I don't believe you will find any simple value.

Ok. So sin < 0 then cos theta turns to a negative also?

Tan [tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex] + 1 = sec [tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\theta[/tex]

I could use this identity to solve it

Last edited:
Yes u can... But its meaningless

U take reciprocal and use the identity [tex] sin^{2}(x)+cos{2}(x)=1[/tex]

But u will lose the information whereby tan(x)>0 ...

I would suggest u get the basic angle and just "shift" it to the third quadrant...

To me, it looks like the most important identity to use in solving this for angle theta is

[tex]tan\theta = \frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}[/tex]

Since you know that sine of theta is negative, cos of theta must also be negative. What quadrant would that place the angle theta in? (Considering both the X and Y coordinates are negative). Drop your reference triangle here.

What does "solving for theta in a Trigonometric Equation" mean?

Solving for theta in a Trigonometric Equation involves finding the value of the unknown angle (theta) in a given equation that contains trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

What are the steps to solve for theta in a Trigonometric Equation?

The steps to solve for theta in a Trigonometric Equation are as follows:
1. Isolate the trigonometric function containing theta on one side of the equation.
2. Use inverse trigonometric functions to eliminate the trigonometric function and solve for theta.
3. Check for extraneous solutions by plugging the value of theta back into the original equation.
4. Write the final answer in radians or degrees, depending on the given instructions.

What are some common trigonometric identities used when solving for theta?

Some common trigonometric identities used when solving for theta include:
1. Pythagorean identity: sin^2(theta) + cos^2(theta) = 1
2. Double angle identities: sin(2theta) = 2sin(theta)cos(theta) and cos(2theta) = cos^2(theta) - sin^2(theta)
3. Half angle identities: sin(theta/2) = ±√[(1-cos(theta))/2] and cos(theta/2) = ±√[(1+cos(theta))/2]

Can I use a calculator to solve for theta in a Trigonometric Equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve for theta in a Trigonometric Equation. However, it is important to make sure your calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians) and to double check for extraneous solutions.

Are there any tips for solving tricky Trigonometric Equations with multiple angles?

Yes, here are some tips for solving tricky Trigonometric Equations with multiple angles:
1. Use the sum and difference identities to simplify the equation.
2. If possible, try to factor out common trigonometric functions.
3. Break the equation into smaller parts and solve each part separately.
4. Use a trigonometric table or your calculator to find reference angles and use them to solve for theta.