Tan x-intercepts

• Thread starter yourmom98
  • Start date
yourmom98
the tan graph is in the form y=atan(b(x-c))+d how do you determine the "EXACT" x-intercept of this graph in radian form when the d value does not equal 0 and is there a formula for finding the x-intercept when given the equation in the form above using the values of a,b,c and d which control the vertical/horizontal stretch/shift

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

yourdadonapogostick
same way you get the zeros for any function: let y=0.

yourmom98
whoops i need to edit it i mean as an exact value in radian form like pi/2 for example

Brad Barker
yourmom98 said:
whoops i need to edit it i mean as an exact value in radian form like pi/2 for example

well, in general, your answer is just going to have to be left in terms of arctangents, multiplied by some factor and then added to by another factor.

neat answers like pi/2 only come up only in special situations, unfortunately!

Brad Barker
yourmom98 said:

and my mom is NOT 98! :mad:

:tongue:

yourmom98
okay so there are not going to be neat answers so is my only way to get a estimated answer in radian to graph it using a calculator and then trace the zeros? or is there a way to determine it without graphing?

jtbell
Mentor
You need to take the equation

[tex]\arctan (b (x - c)) + d = 0[/tex]

and solve it for [itex]x[/itex], that is, rearrange it into the form

[tex]x = something[/tex]

Then plug in whatever values you have for [itex]b[/itex], [itex]c[/itex], and [itex]d[/itex]. Where do you get stuck when you try to do this?

Brad Barker
jtbell said:
You need to take the equation

[tex]\arctan (b (x - c)) + d = 0[/tex]

and solve it for [itex]x[/itex], that is, rearrange it into the form

[tex]x = something[/tex]

Then plug in whatever values you have for [itex]b[/itex], [itex]c[/itex], and [itex]d[/itex]. Where do you get stuck when you try to do this?

that wasn't his equation.

it was a*tan(b(x-c) + d.

"a" is a stretching/shrinking factor. (i guess it's that there are only two missing letters between atan and arctan and the fact that i mentioned arctan that led you to this.)

yourdadonapogostick
some simple algebra says: [tex]x=\frac{\tan^{-1}(-\frac{d}{a})}{b}+c[/tex]

Last edited:
Brad Barker
yourdadonapogostick said:
some simple algebra says: [tex]x=\frac{\tan^{-1}(-\frac{d}{a})}{b}-c[/tex]

"+c," right?

jtbell
Mentor
Brad Barker said:
that wasn't his equation.

it was a*tan(b(x-c) + d.

"a" is a stretching/shrinking factor. (i guess it's that there are only two missing letters between atan and arctan and the fact that i mentioned arctan that led you to this.)

Oops. I've done too much computer programming in languages that call the arctangent function "atan". :blushing:

yourmom98
yea it +c not -c so this gets me the so therefore i can now just like add or substract another period to this answer to get another x-intercept rite?

thx everyone :smile:

yourdadonapogostick
Brad Barker said:
"+c," right?
yea, oops. maybe i should proofread before i submit

Suggested for: Tan x-intercepts

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies