Solving Curve 8y^2=x^3 & Finding Tangent & Point Q

In summary, for all values of t, the point P with the equation x=2t^2, y=t^3 lies on the curve 8y^2=x^3. However, 8y2=x^3 is not always true, and for some values of t, P is not on the curve.
Harmony
Show that for all values of t, the point P with the equation
x=2t^2, y=t^3 lies on the curve 8y^2=x^3

Find the equation of the tangent to the curve at point P.

The tangent meets the curve once again at point Q. Find the coordinates of point Q.

I can find the equation of the tangent.

After finding the tangent, I try to solve it by using the two equation. At the end I get 9t^2x^2-12t^4x+4t^6=2x^3. Is it the right way? It seems complicated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm moving this to "caculus and beyond"- finding tangents in general is basic to calculus.

How did you get that equation? You certainly shouldn't have both t and x in the equation: to show that the given point is on the curve for all t, replace x in the equation by 2t3 and replace y by t3. Is the result an equation that is true for all t?

Actually it isn't. 8y2 is 8t6 while x3 is 8t9: the point is NOT on the curve for all t. In fact, if x= 2t3 and y= t3 then, obviously, x= 2y. that's just the straight line y= x/2. Are you sure you have copied the problem correctly? For example, if x= 2t2, then it would be true. Or it might be that you are asked to find a value of t such that P is on the curve: the point where the straight line y= x/2 crosses the curve 8y2= x3.

I suspect you are asked to find the value of t (find P) such that P is on the curve because asking you to find the "tangent to the curve at point P" doesn't make much sense if P is any point on the curve.

I am terribly sorry...there was a mistake when I typed the question. x=2t^2.
To obtain the tangent I just power the x by 3 and power the y by 2 and cancel off the t. There wasn't much trouble in that.
Equation of the tangent : 4y=3tx-2t^3
Since the two equation intersect, I approach this question by substituting y from the equation 8y^2=x^3. That's how I get 9t^2x^2-12t^4x+4t^6=2x^3, and find that it is hard for me to obtain the coordinate of Q through such equation. Am I on the right track?

Okay, that looks good now. You final equation will have a parameter t in it since this is "for any t".

9t^2x^2-12t^4x+4t^6=2x^3

But I can't solve this equation...even with the parameter t. I suspect there is something wrong with my calculation.

1. What is the equation for solving Curve 8y^2=x^3?

The equation for solving Curve 8y^2=x^3 is y = (1/2)(x^(3/2)).

2. How can I find the tangent to Curve 8y^2=x^3?

To find the tangent to Curve 8y^2=x^3, you can use the derivative of the function, which is y' = 4x^(1/2). This will give you the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the curve. Then, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is the point Q on Curve 8y^2=x^3?

Point Q on Curve 8y^2=x^3 is the point where the tangent line intersects with the curve. This point can be found by substituting the x-coordinate of the point into the original equation to solve for the y-coordinate.

4. Can the point Q on Curve 8y^2=x^3 have multiple coordinates?

No, the point Q on Curve 8y^2=x^3 will have a unique set of coordinates, as it is the point of intersection between the curve and the tangent line.

5. How can I use the tangent line and point Q to approximate the curve?

By using the tangent line and point Q, you can find the slope of the curve at a specific point and use this information to approximate the curve. You can also use the tangent line to find the equation of the curve at that point, and then use this equation to make further approximations along the curve.