1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent line at y = 9/sqrt(1+x)

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
    Find the y-intercept of the tangent line to the graph of y = (9)/sqrt(1 + x) at the point where x = 9.

I used the quotient rule to find the derivative.

I found that to be (-9/2(1+x)^-1/2)/(1+x) But then I am totally clued out...

Thanks for helping me out.

volc

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the relationship between the derivative and the tangent line?

4. Oct 8, 2005 #3

hotvette

Homework Helper

You need to assess what you have:

1. slope of the line you want to construct
    2. a point that the line goes through

These 2 pieces of information should allow you to write the equation of the line. Once you have the equation, you can find the y intercept.

5. Oct 8, 2005 #4
    Derivative of function = slope of the tgt line.

6. Oct 8, 2005 #5
    I don't understand what you mean. :/

7. Oct 8, 2005 #6

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have the equation of the tangent line, you can find the y-intercept, right? You need therefore to find the equation of the line. You have two pieces of information, the slope of the line and a point the line passes through. Is this suffucient to write an equation for the line?

8. Oct 8, 2005 #7
    A line in the x-y plane is given by y=mx+b (I assume you know that). Taking the derivative and plugging in your x=9 will give you m. You still need to find b, which is precisely what the question asks for. If I were you, I would plug x=9 into your original equation, find your y value, then substitute both of those into y=mx+b and solve for b.

Alex

9. Oct 8, 2005 #8
    (-9/2(1+x)^-1/2)/(1+x) = slope of the tgt line right ? And the equation for the tangental line is y= mx + b, where m = (-9/2(1+x)^-1/2)/(1+x). To find y I need to find b and I can't seen to be able to find b.

10. Oct 8, 2005 #9
    That is m(x). To find the slope at a point, you need to plug that x-value in!:smile: Do you understand why?

Alex

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  11. Oct 8, 2005 #10
    When I plug in the x value (-9/2(1+x)^-1/2)/(1+x) I get:
    (-9/2)((10)^-3/2) and this is x or m(x) ?

volc

12. Oct 8, 2005 #11
    What do you think it is? Remember that the derivative at a point will be the slope (m) of the graph at that point. Now, you have an x-value given to you. You need to find the cooresponding y-value so that you have a slope and a point. You can find an equation of a line using a point and the slope, thus find the y-intercept.

If I were you, I'd go back and read up on what a derivative actually means geometrically.

Alex

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?