Solving for b: Find the Tangent Line of y = e^{bx} at y = 10x

In summary, the line y = 10x tangent to the curve y = e^{bx} at some point in the xy-plane must be the derivative of e^{bx} and b has to be equal to 10x.
Dustinsfl
For what value of b is the line y = 10x tangent to the curve y = e[tex]^{bx}[/tex] at some point in the xy-plane?

y' = b*e[tex]^{bx}[/tex] = 10x

How can I solve for b here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dustinsfl said:
For what value of b is the line y = 10x tangent to the curve y = e[tex]^{bx}[/tex] at some point in the xy-plane?

y' = b*e[tex]^{bx}[/tex] = 10x

How can I solve for b here?

Your equation isn't right.

What condition(s) must be satisfied if [itex]y = 10x[/itex] is tangent to [itex]y = e^{bx}[/itex] at some point?

It has to be the derivative.

Dustinsfl said:
It has to be the derivative.

What has to be what derivative? Try to be precise when you are expressing ideas in mathematics.

Say I have two differentiable functions, [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x)[/itex]. What must be true if [itex]g[/itex] is tangent to [itex]f[/itex] at some point [itex]x_0[/itex]?

I already solved for the derivative in my 1st post and set it equal to the tangent equation since the derivative needs to equal that to satisfy the problem. The problem was that I have b times e to the b where I need to solve for b.

Dustinsfl said:
I already solved for the derivative in my 1st post and set it equal to the tangent equation since the derivative needs to equal that to satisfy the problem. The problem was that I have b times e to the b where I need to solve for b.

As I already said, your equation is wrong, so there is no point trying to solve it for b.

Can you explain why you set the derivative of the exponential equal to 10x?

That is what I need the derivative to be equal.

Dustinsfl said:
That is what I need the derivative to be equal.

No it's not.

What properties of a curve and a line must be equal if the line is to be tangent to the curve at a point?

We can keep going around and circles all day but it isn't going to get anywhere.

Dustinsfl said:
We can keep going around and circles all day but it isn't going to get anywhere.

OK, good luck.

Dustinsfl said:

"We" ? You are the one thinking in circles, jbunniii is actually trying to point you the way out of your circles, but it seems you just don't want to listen...

1. How do I solve for b in the equation y = e^{bx}?

To solve for b, you will need to use logarithms. Take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation to get ln(y) = bx. Then, divide both sides by x to get b = ln(y)/x.

2. What does the tangent line represent in this equation?

The tangent line represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at the point where y = 10x. It is the slope of the function at that specific point.

3. How do I find the tangent line of y = e^{bx} at y = 10x?

To find the tangent line, you will need to take the derivative of the function y = e^{bx}. Then, plug in the value of y = 10x into the derivative to get the slope of the tangent line. Finally, use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the tangent line.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve for b in this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve for b. Simply input the values of y and x into the equation b = ln(y)/x to get the value of b.

5. Why is it important to find the tangent line of a function?

Finding the tangent line allows us to better understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can help us determine the slope, rate of change, and direction of the function at that point. Additionally, tangent lines can be used in applications such as optimization and curve fitting.