Proving the Sum of Ratios of Tangent Lines to Points on a Parabola is 1

• Thread starter Samuelb88
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the sum of the lengths of two line segments, PQ1 and PQ2, compared to the lengths of their corresponding line segments PP1 and PP2. By choosing three points on the parabola y=x^2 and calculating the tangent lines that pass through these points, we can find the coordinates of P, Q1, Q2, P1, P2, and M. Using the distance formula, the lengths of the line segments can be calculated and plugged into the given formula to prove that their sum is equal to 1. This problem utilizes concepts from calculus, such as finding the slope of a tangent line and using the distance formula.
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

Tangent lines T1 and T2 are drawn at two points P1 and P2 on the parabola y=x^2 and they intersect at a point P. Another tangent line T is drawn at a point between P1 and P2; it intersects T1 at Q1 and T2 at Q2. Show that:

(PQ1/PP1) + (PQ2/PP2) = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let f(x) function y=f(x)=x^2. Therefore:
- P1(p1,f(p1))
- P2(p2,f(p2))
and the x-coordinate of P is:
- P: x=(p1+p2)/2

I've constructed a third point M where the 3rd tangent line T is drawn, therefore:
- M(m,f(m))

The x-coordinates of Q1 and Q2 are:
- Q1: x=(m+p1)/2
- Q2: x=(m+p2)/2

I realize that the tangent-lines of any two points on a parabola will intersect at a point whose x-coordinate is the midpoint of the x-coordinates of the two points on the parabola, therefore the x-coordinates of point P will be halfway between points P1 and P2. And the tangent-line T, which corresponds to point M, if placed directly between points P1 and P2, then; (PQ1/PP1) = 1/2 and (PQ2/PP2) = 1/2, therefore the sum is obviously 1 and the x-coordinates of the point Q1 will be directly between P1 and P and the x-coordinate of Q2 will be directly between P2 and P. What I'm having problems doing is proving the statement it asks me to prove and how calculus is involved in this problem. I've thought about using the distance formula but it expands into a very messy problem. I don't understand how to express the line-segments PQ1, PP1, PQ2, PP2 and how it relates to differentiation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Samuel,

I'll give you some hints on a strategy you could use. I've sketched it out on paper and it seems to work out nicely enough.

Step 1) Choose your 3 points, P1, P2, M and write out their coordinates (i.e. [tex]P_1 = (p_1, p_1^2)[/tex]).

Step 2) Write out the formula for the tangent lines to [tex]f(x)=x^2[/tex] that pass through your points P1, P2, and M.

Hint: You want to calculate 3 lines, [tex]y_1, y_2, y_3[/tex]. You will need the slope of each line, and the y-intercept. For example you should get something like [tex]y_1 = (2p_1)x - p_1^2[/tex] for the tangent line that passes through P1.

Step 3) Calculate the intersection points of [tex](y_1, y_2)[/tex], [tex](y_2, y_3)[/tex], and [tex](y_1, y_3)[/tex].

Hint: For example, to get the intersection points of [tex]y_1, y_2[/tex], just set [tex]y_1 = y_2[/tex] to find the x coordinate (as you've done above), then plug this x coordinate back into either of [tex]y_1, y_2[/tex] to get the y coordinate.

Notice you now have explicit coordinates for the points [tex]P, Q_1, Q_2, P_1, P_2, M[/tex].

Step 4) As you thought, now use the euclidean distance formula to calculate the length of each of the line segments.

Hint: For [tex]\overline{PQ_1}[/tex] you should get [tex]||\overline{PQ_1}||^2 = (p_2-p_3)^2\left (p_1^2 + \frac{1}{4}\right )[/tex].

Notice after you calculate the others that things will start canceling out nicely.

Step 5) Plug the lengths into your formula to find that they equal 1.

Good luck.

Last edited:

1. What is a tangent line of a parabola?

A tangent line of a parabola is a line that touches the parabola at only one point. This point of intersection is known as the point of tangency.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line to a parabola?

To find the equation of a tangent line to a parabola, you need to find the slope of the tangent line at the point of tangency. This can be done by taking the derivative of the parabola's equation. Then, use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. Can a parabola have more than one tangent line?

Yes, a parabola can have more than one tangent line. If the parabola is a perfect square, it will have two tangent lines at the vertex. If the parabola is not a perfect square, it can have one or two tangent lines depending on its position and shape.

4. What is the relationship between the slope of a tangent line and the slope of the parabola at the point of tangency?

The slope of a tangent line is equal to the slope of the parabola at the point of tangency. This is because the tangent line is a straight line that touches the curve at only one point, so its slope must match the slope of the curve at that point.

5. How can the concept of tangent lines be applied in real life?

The concept of tangent lines can be applied in many fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in engineering, tangent lines are used to determine the slope of a curved surface, which is important in designing structures. In physics, tangent lines are used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of a moving object. In economics, tangent lines are used to find the marginal rate of change, which is important in analyzing market trends and making decisions.