1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent lines to a f(x)

1. Sep 28, 2006 #1
    Seems like a simple problem, but I have no idea how to accomplish this!

f(x) = x^2 +4

I have to find a tangent line to the graph that passes through the point (0,0).

I know the derivative is 2x, but I don't know how to mathematically figure out the which (x,f(x)) the tangent line would pass through..!
    Any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2006 #2
    If the derivative is [tex] 2x [/tex], then the slope at [tex] (0,0) [/tex] will be [tex] 0 [/tex]. So its just a horizontal line through [tex] (0,0) [/tex]

4. Sep 28, 2006 #3

I know that.

You seee (0,0) is not a point on the graph. (0,0) is a given point (outside the graph) which I need to find a line tangent to the graph with.

[​IMG]

5. Sep 28, 2006 #4
    you have to use Newtons method [tex] x_{n+1} = x_{n} - \frac{f(x_{n})}{f'(x_{n})} [/tex]

6. Sep 28, 2006 #5
    You could do it in a simpler way.
    [tex]f(x) = x^2 + 4[/tex]
    [tex]f'(x) = 2x[/tex]

Let [tex]g(x) = f'(x).x[/tex], i.e. write the equation of the tangent line in terms of x and [tex]f'(x)[/tex].

So you need a point where [tex]f(x) = g(x)[/tex]
    So: [tex] x^2 + 4 = (2x)x[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  7. Sep 29, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem did not say "tangent at (0,0)".

First, distinguish between the variable, x, and the x-value of the point of tangency. Let's call the x value at the point of tangency x0. Then the derivative at that point is 2x0 and so the tangent line has equation y= 2x0x. In order to be a tangent, that line must touch the parabola at x0: at x= x0 we must have y= 2x02= x02+ 4. Because of the symmetry, there are two lines through (0,0) tangent to y= x2+ 4

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?