1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent lines

1. Feb 11, 2004 #1
    how does tangent lines play into this problem?

click here for problem

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2004 #2
    Do you understand that f(7) is the value of y when x=7?

4. Feb 11, 2004 #3
    yeah. i dont understand F'(7).

5. Feb 11, 2004 #4
    dy/dx = f'(x) is the slope of the curve y = f(x), so what is f'(7)?

6. Feb 12, 2004 #5
    am i supposed to plug 7 in for x and then take the derivative? how? doesn't the equation end up canceling out?

7. Feb 12, 2004 #6
    Why would you take the derivative?

The slope of the tangent line = the slope of the curve at the point where the line touches the curve.

8. Feb 12, 2004 #7
    oh, i didnt realize the d's stood for the difference.
    so to find F(7), I isolate y on one side of the equation and then plugin 7 for x and solve for y? what do i do for the F'(7)? slope of the line when x=7?

9. Feb 12, 2004 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

These are all things that should be elementary (believe me, the problems are going to get a lot harder!).

In the first place, the "d's" do not stand for difference!
    They are simply the notation for derivative. Yes, one method of finding the derivative of a function is to take the limit of the "difference quotient" but I don't think you should think "the d's stand for the difference".

In any case, the first thing you should have learned about the derivative of a function is that "the derivative IS the slope of the tangent line".

In this case, yes, solve for y. The value of y when x= 7 is the value of the function F when x= 7, F(7). The slope of that line is the derivative of F when x= 7 dF/dx(7) or F'(7).

By the way, you do not find the derivative of a function "when x= 7" by substituting 7 for x and then differntiating. The value of any function for a specific x is a number (a constant) and the derivative of a constant is always 0. Do it the other way around: first differentiate and then substitute.

10. Feb 14, 2004 #9
    so correct me if wrong. to find F(7), i just plug 7 for x in the equation of the tangent line and to find F'(7), I just differentiate the equation and then plug in 7 for x and solve for y?

I forget, what does differentiate mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?