1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent Lines

1. Sep 12, 2005 #1
    I need to find an equation for the tangent line to the graph of the function at the specified point, I had some trouble simplifing f(x) so that I can take the lim as x->0 which is the slope.

f(x) = Sqrt(x)/5 at (4,(2/5))

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2005 #2
    *Simply find the derivative of the curve at that point, and use point-slope to find the line.
    [tex] f\left( x \right) = \frac{\sqrt x}{5} \Rightarrow f\,'\left( x \right) = \frac{1}{{10\sqrt x }} [/tex]

*To find the slope of the tangent line, simply calculate [itex] f\,' ( 4 ) [/itex]:
    [tex] f\,'\left( 4 \right) = \frac{1}{{20}} [/tex]

*Next, just use point-slope to represent the tangent line, which I'll call [itex] y [/itex]:
    [tex] \frac{{x - 4}}{{20}} = y - \frac{2}{5} [/tex]

And it's algebra from there :smile:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  4. Sep 13, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you saying that you are required to use the basic formula for the derivative: [itex] lim_{h->0}\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}[/itex] rather than the more specific formula (derived from that) that bomba923 used?

If so try multiplying both numerator and denominator of
    [tex]\frac{\sqrt{a+h}-\sqrt{a}}{h}[/tex]
    by
    [tex]\sqrt{a+h}+ \sqrt{a}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?