Tangent/Parabola question

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
chwala
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
If the tangent at the point ##P## to the parabola ## y^2=4ax## meets the parabola ## y^2=4a(x+b)## at points ##Q## and ##R##. Prove that ##P## is the midpoint of ##QR##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the tangent equation to the parabola ## y^2=4ax## is given by ##yy1=2a(x+x1)##
and that ## y^2=4a(x+b)## it follows that
##2a(x+x1) = 4a(x+b)##
→## (x+x1)=2(x+b)##
→##P= 2QR##
or
→##1/2P=QR##
is my working correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

verty
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

[/B]
If the tangent at the point ##P## to the parabola ## y^2=4ax## meets the parabola ## y^2=4a(x+b)## at points ##Q## and ##R##. Prove that ##P## is the midpoint of ##QR##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the tangent equation to the parabola ## y^2=4ax## is given by ##yy1=2a(x+x1)##
and that ## y^2=4a(x+b)## it follows that
##2a(x+x1) = 4a(x+b)##
→## (x+x1)=2(x+b)##
→##P= 2QR##
or
→##1/2P=QR##
I don't understand that at all. Can you explain how you get P = 2QR from the stuff above it?

I know of a way to prove this but it is difficult. Start like this, let ##P.x = u##. Find ##Q.x## and ##R.x## in terms of u (not so tough). Then find ##{Q.y + R.y \over 2}##.

Likes chwala
yy1 is not the same as y^2. Solve simultaneously y=2a(x+x1)/y1 and y^2=4a(x+b). Add the roots which will eliminate a lot of stuff - and divide by 2. With any luck you will end up with x1.

chwala
Gold Member
yy1 is not the same as y^2. Solve simultaneously y=2a(x+x1)/y1 and y^2=4a(x+b). Add the roots which will eliminate a lot of stuff - and divide by 2. With any luck you will end up with x1.
how?

chwala
Gold Member
##y= 2a(x+x1)/y1##
##y^2=4a(x+b)##
##4yy1=4a(x+x1)## and ##y^2=4a(x+b)##
on subtraction...
##4yy1-y^2=4ax1-4ab##
advise

You need to square the first equation so that the LHS in both equations is y^2. Then: 4a(x+b)=4a^2(x+x1)^2/(y1)^2.

I don't understand that at all.
I agree.

Can you explain how you get P = 2QR from the stuff above it?
As already stated, this makes no sense. P, Q, and R are the names of the three points in this problem -- they aren't numbers. It would be better to identify the x and y coordinates at each point something like this:
##P(x_p, y_p), Q(x_q, y_q), R(x_r, y_r)##

I don't follow this at all. The slope of the tangent line at point P is ##\frac{2a}{y_p}##. The equation of the tangent line at point P is ##y - y_p = \frac{2a}{y_p}(x - x_p)##, using the point-slope form of the line equation and thenotation I described above.

I don't follow this at all. The slope of the tangent line at point P is ##\frac{2a}{y_p}##. The equation of the tangent line at point P is ##y - y_p = \frac{2a}{y_p}(x - x_p)##, using the point-slope form of the line equation and thenotation I described above.
Because you will multiply through by y_p obtaining a term (y_p)^2=4a(x_p)

Because you will multiply through by y_p obtaining a term (y_p)^2=4a(x_p)
OK, I see it now, but it wasn't immediately obvious.

chwala
Gold Member
so what is the conclusion

Solve simultaneously y=2a(x+x1)/y1 and y^2=4a(x+b). Add the roots which will eliminate a lot of stuff - and divide by 2. With any luck you will end up with x1.

Likes chwala
chwala
Gold Member
ok let me look at it...

chwala
Gold Member
this is still pending...i need help

chwala
Gold Member
let me look at it, i want to clear all pending assignments here...