1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent Plane for a torus

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1
    I know I am making a stupid mistake but I am not sure what it is...

Find an equation for the plane tangent to the torus X(s,t)=((5+2cost)coss, (5+2cost)sins, 2sint) at the point ((5-(3)^1/2)/(2)^1/2, (5-(3)^1/2/(2)^1/2, 1).

First I have to find what s and t are in order to sub them in for dT/ds and dT/dt. So first I solved for t using 2sint=1 and get t=pi/6. However, when I attempt to sub it into one of the other equations to solve for s I get 2 different answers for s when using each of the different equations. What am I doing wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

sin(t)= 1/2 means either t= [itex]\pi/6[/itex], in which case cos(t)= [itex]\sqrt{3}/2[/itex] or t= [itex]5\pi/6[/itex], in which case cos(t)= [itex]-\sqrt{3}/2[/itex]. Obviously, since x= (5+ 2cos(t))cos(s)) and y= (5+ 2cos(t))sin(s), if x= y, as you have here, then sin(s)= cos(s)= [itex]\pm1/\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Then 5+ 2cos(t)= 5-sqrt(3) so that cos(t)= [itex]-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]. From sin2(t)+ cos2(t)= 1 that gives immediately sin(t)= 1/2 as needed. The given point has t= [itex]5\pi/6[/itex], s= [itex]\pi/4[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?