Solving for f'(2) & f(2): A Tangent Line Challenge

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of f'(2) and f(2) for a given equation of a tangent line at a specific point on a graph of y=f(x). The concept of tangent is explained and a suggestion is given to graphically determine f(2). The conversation also includes a humorous exchange about responding to an old post.
schleiz

Homework Statement

suppose y=2x-3 is an en equation of the tangent line to the graph of y=f(x) at the point where x=2. find the value of f'(2) and f(2).

Homework Equations

I know how to get the tangent line, but this wording throws me off. a little help at how to solve f(2) and f'(2).

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted and failed.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does tangent mean?

since y=2x-3 is an en equation of the tangent line to the graph of y=f(x) at the point where x=2 , f'(2) equals to slope of the tangent line (2)
you can find f(2) easily by drawing a graphic.

suppose you want to kiss somebody, but must do something at some point. You kiss this person only if you are at that point. How would you graph this?

naaa00 said:
suppose you want to kiss somebody, but must do something at some point. You kiss this person only if you are at that point. How would you graph this?
Oh, I like that!

Why would someone answer a post this old?

Well, naaa00 is a newby.

Beyond that, it appears that HoF got a real kick out of naaa00's post, so it was well worthwhile for naaa00 to post in this old thread. (IMO)

1. What is the purpose of solving for f'(2) and f(2) in this challenge?

The purpose of solving for f'(2) and f(2) in this challenge is to find the slope of the tangent line at the point (2, f(2)) on the graph of the function f(x). This slope represents the rate of change of the function at that specific point.

2. How do I solve for f'(2) and f(2) in this challenge?

To solve for f'(2) and f(2), you will first need to have the equation of the function f(x). Then, you can use the rules of differentiation to find the derivative function f'(x). Once you have the derivative function, you can plug in the value x=2 to find f'(2). To find f(2), simply plug in x=2 into the original function f(x).

3. What is the significance of the tangent line in this challenge?

The tangent line is significant because it represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at the given point. It is also the best linear approximation of the function at that point.

4. How does finding the tangent line at (2, f(2)) help in understanding the behavior of the function near this point?

By finding the tangent line at a given point, we can understand the direction in which the function is increasing or decreasing at that point. We can also see how the function behaves near that point, as the tangent line will closely approximate the function's behavior.

5. Can solving for f'(2) and f(2) be applied to any function?

Yes, solving for f'(2) and f(2) can be applied to any differentiable function. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at the given point (2, f(2)). If the function is not differentiable at that point, then f'(2) and f(2) cannot be accurately determined.