1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent to a circle

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that the line ##y=mx+c## is a tangent to the circle ##(x-a)^{2} +(y-b)^{2} =r^{2}##, show that ##(1+m^{2}) r^{2}=(c-b+ma)^{2}##

2. Relevant equations
    Quadratic discriminant, sum and product of roots

3. The attempt at a solution
    I substituted y=mx+c into the equation of the circle, and this is what I have:
    ##(x-a)^{2} +(mx+c-b)^{2} =r^{2}##
    Then I expanded and simplified into this:
    ##(1+m^{2})x^{2}+(2mc-2mb-2a)x+a^{2}+b^{2}-2bc+c^{2}-r^{2}=0##

Now if I have to use the quadratic discriminant it would be tedious to work with, unfortunately. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2
    There's a lot of Algebraic manipulation in this problem.

First hint: Find m, which is the same as ##\frac{dy}{dx}##
    Second hint: solve for c in terms of only a, b, x, y
    Third hint: Show both sides of the equations are equal to each other (again, only in terms of a, b, x, y).

Edit: This is in the Precalculus section. Have you learned how to find ##\frac{dy}{dx}## yet?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  4. Mar 20, 2014 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Use the concept that the radius of circle is equal to the distance of the given line from the centre of circle. You already know the formula for finding the distance of any point from a line and in this case it is simply the centre of circle (a,b). Equate both and you're done.

5. Mar 20, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

You should have expanded only so far as
    [tex]
    (1 + m^2)x^2 + 2(m(c-b) - a)x + a^2 + (c-b)^2 - r^2 = 0
    [/tex]
    Keeping (c-b) as (c-b) throughout will make your calculations much less tedious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted