1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent to a curve

1. May 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the tangent vector to a curve $$r=R(1-\varepsilon \sin ^2 \varphi)$$ as a function of ##\varphi##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, I tried like this:

I defined a vector $$(f(\varphi),\varphi)=(R(1-\varepsilon \sin ^2 \varphi),\varphi)$$ and than I calculated the derivative $$\frac{\partial }{\partial \varphi}$$ therefore my result is $$(-\varepsilon R \sin(2\varphi),1).$$

But I have a friend claiming that the result is $$(-\varepsilon R \sin(2\varphi),R(1-\varepsilon \sin ^2 \varphi)).$$ So, my question to you is... which is right? :/

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2015 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Looks like you've computed the normal. You need to find a vector such that your vector dotted with it give zero. I think both of you are wrong.

4. May 24, 2015 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First of all: What basis are you using to write down your vector? Unless you specify a basis, your two numbers mean nothing. What basis is your friend using?

Edit: Second, how do you define the tangent vector of a curve?

5. May 24, 2015 #4
    It's polar basis ##r## being the distance from the origin and ##\varphi ## the polar angle.

The function $$R(1-\varepsilon \sin ^2\varphi)$$ turns out to be an ellipse. ##R## and ##\varepsilon ## are two constants, where ##\varepsilon \ll 1##.

6. May 24, 2015 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And what is the definition of the tangent vector of a curve?

7. May 25, 2015 #6
    Yeah that could be the reason why my result is wrong.

If I am not mistaken, the vector is ##(f(\varphi),\varphi)## and normalized tangent vector should be $$t=\frac{(\frac{\partial f(\varphi)}{\partial \varphi},\frac{\partial }{\partial \varphi}\varphi)}{|(f(\varphi),\varphi)|}$$

8. May 25, 2015 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your big problem is that you are trying to only deal with the components of a vector, and even the components you quote are wrong. For any curve ##\vec r(t)##, the tangent vector is given by ##\vec t = d\vec r/dt##. In polar coordinates, the position vector ##\vec r## is given by ##\vec r = r \vec e_r##, where ##\vec e_r## is the radial unit vector. There is no component in the angular direction.

However, you do need to note that ##\vec e_r## is not a constant vector and in order to differentiate this with respect to time, you will also need to consider the time derivative of ##\vec e_r##. This is a big disadvantage of trying to write everything as a list of numbers only. The first step is to stop referring to vectors as a list of numbers without any reference as to what basis is being used.

9. May 25, 2015 #8
    Ok, lets write $$\vec r=R(1-\varepsilon \sin ^2 \varphi)\vec e_r=s(\varphi)\vec e_r$$ than tangent vector ##\vec t## is $$\vec t=\frac{\partial }{\partial \varphi }s(\varphi) \vec e_r+s\frac{\partial }{\partial \varphi }\vec e_r.$$ The second term is $$\frac{\partial }{\partial \varphi }e_r=\frac{\partial }{\partial \varphi }(\cos\varphi, \sin \varphi)=(-\sin\varphi,\cos\varphi) $$ but IF (and only if) I am not mistaken, than by definition $$\vec e_\varphi =s(-\sin\varphi,\cos\varphi).$$ Meaning the tangent vector is $$t=\frac{\partial s(\varphi)}{\partial \varphi }\vec e_r + \vec e_\varphi .$$

10. May 25, 2015 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is an ##s## too much in front here. Remember that ##\vec e_\varphi## is a unit vector.

And one too few in front of the ##\vec e_\varphi## here. Otherwise you are doing well now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted