1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent To The Curve

1. Sep 9, 2006 #1
    Hi guys, i'm having a little trouble finding the equation of the tangent to the curve 2e^(xy) - ysinx = log(y) + 2 at the point (0,1).
    I've basically concluded that either the equation [​IMG] should be used or either find the gradient at (0,1) through differentiation and then use (y-y1)=m(x-x1).
    But i can't seem to get the derivative in terms of y. Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2006 #2
    I think the point was that you can't get the equation in terms of a solvable variable. You can, however, probably implicitly differentiate the above equation with respect to y and with respect to x. Have you tried that path yet?

4. Sep 9, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The two equations you cite are in fact the same equation. The only difficulty is finding y'. As vsage says, use implicit differentiation.
    If 2exy - ysinx = log(y) + 2 then
    2exy(y+ xy')- y' cos x- y sin x= y'/y. Set x= 0, y= 1 and solve for y'.

5. Sep 9, 2006 #4
    Oh ofcourse, seems so simple now. Thanks alot guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?