Calc Forces on Hinge for Dynamically Loaded Stick

In summary, the problem is about calculating the forces on a hinged stick when it is released from rest at an angle theta_0 with respect to the vertical. This can be solved by combining work and energy equations with torque equations, and then finding the acceleration of the center of mass of the stick to apply Newton's second law and find the tangential force exerted on the stick by the hinge.
Johnny0290

Homework Statement

In this problem we want to learn a little bit about what is sometimes called dynamical loading. Our simple system consists of a uniform stick of length L and mass M hinged at one end. We would like to calculate the forces on the (frictionless) hinge when the stick is released from rest at an angle theta_0 with respect to the vertical. You may find it useful to combine work and energy equations with torque (N II) equations.

3.2 Show that the tangential (tangent to the direction of motion, perpendicular to the stick) force exerted on the stick by the hinge is F_t = Mg/4*sin(theta).

Homework Equations

F=ma
I=1/3mr^2
torque=r x F=I*alpha

The Attempt at a Solution

F*d=I*alpha
(L/2)mgsin(theta)=(1/3)mL^2 * alpha

((3/2)mgsin(theta))/L = m*alpha

alpha = L*a

(3/2)mgsin(theta)=ma

Am I approaching this problem in the completely wrong way or am I missing something that factors into the tangental force? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Johnny0290 !:smile:

(have a theta: θ and an omega: ω and an alpha: α and a tau: τ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes, that's fine until …
Johnny0290 said:
alpha = L*a

… but all that does is give you is the tangential acceleration of the end of the stick.

You need to find the acceleration of the centre of mass of the stick, so that you can apply good ol' Newton's second law to find the "missing" reaction force :wink:

1. What is the purpose of calculating forces on a hinge for a dynamically loaded stick?

The purpose of calculating forces on a hinge for a dynamically loaded stick is to determine the amount and direction of forces acting on the hinge, which is important for understanding the overall stability and structural integrity of the stick.

2. What factors affect the forces on a hinge for a dynamically loaded stick?

The forces on a hinge for a dynamically loaded stick are affected by several factors, including the weight and distribution of the load on the stick, the angle and speed of the stick's movement, and the strength and positioning of the hinge itself.

3. How do you calculate the forces on a hinge for a dynamically loaded stick?

To calculate the forces on a hinge for a dynamically loaded stick, you must first determine the forces acting on the stick, such as gravity and applied forces. Then, using principles of mechanics and mathematical equations, you can calculate the resulting forces on the hinge.

4. What is the significance of a hinge in the stability of a dynamically loaded stick?

A hinge plays a crucial role in the stability of a dynamically loaded stick. It not only supports the weight of the stick and any applied loads, but it also helps to distribute and redirect forces in order to maintain the stick's balance and prevent it from collapsing or breaking.

5. Can I use computer software to calculate the forces on a hinge for a dynamically loaded stick?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software that can assist with calculating the forces on a hinge for a dynamically loaded stick. These programs often use advanced algorithms and simulations to accurately predict the forces and behavior of the stick, making the calculation process faster and more efficient.