1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangential and radial acceleration

1. Feb 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moves in the xy plane in a circle centered origin. At a certain instant the velocity and acceleration of the particle are 4.6j m/s and (2.3i - 2.1j) m/s^2. What are the x and y coordinates of the particle at this moment

2. Relevant equations
    ar=-v^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took the magnitude of the radial acceleration and got 3.11 m/s^2 and plugged it into the equation. I got -6.8 for my radius and was told that was the wrong answer for the x coordinate. Then I tried plugging in 2.3 for the radial acceleration and got -9.2 for my radius. Does the -2.1j m/s^2 not play a factor in this problem? I got x=-9.2, but I don't know how to solve for the y component of the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How did you get this? Are you assuming that the particle is moving with a constant speed? (You are given the total acceleration, not the radial acceleration.)
    The velocity should tell you the y-coordinate, since it moves in a circle.

4. Feb 28, 2007 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The velocity is given as being in the 'j' direction only. That should give you a hint on the possible location of the y coordinate. Your value of the centripetal acceleration that you must use depends on the value of the y coordinate you must find first.

5. Feb 28, 2007 #4
    The y coordinate equal 0?

6. Feb 28, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Absolutely. That's the only way to make sense of the given velocity, since that velocity must be tangential to the circle at all times.

7. Feb 28, 2007 #6
    Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?