1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangential and Radial Acceleration

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car at the Indianapolis 500 accelerates uniformly from the pit area, going from rest to 250 km/h in a semicircular arc with a radius of 230 m.

Determine the tangential and radial acceleration of the car when it is halfway through the turn, assuming constant tangential acceleration.

v1=0 m/s
    v2= 250km/h --> 69.44m/s

2. Relevant equations

a=r [tex]\alpha[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

w1= [tex]\frac{v1}{r}[/tex]=0

(.302)2= 02 + 2 ([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) [tex]\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = .02903 radan/s2

I got this for my TANGENT: (230m)(.02903radan/s2) = 6.68m/s2

and this is my RADIAL:[tex]\alpha[/tex] = 0.0290m/s2

I'm not sure if I did the problem right. My answers seem wrong. Please help me =]
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi kblue!1,

The speed of .302rad/s corresponds to when the car has moved through the semicircular path, so I don't think the angle is pi/2 here.

The alpha value is the angular acceleration; the radial acceleration that the question asks for is related to the radius and the angular velocity. What formula does it have?
  4. Oct 10, 2008 #3
    Thanks for replying alphysicist :)

the formula for radial acceleration is V^2/r

Is it just pi?
  5. Oct 10, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Yes, it would be pi (since the speed of 0.302 rad/s is after the car has moved through an angle of pi).

The radial acceleration is v^2/r like you have; this is also equivalent to

a_r=r\ \omega^2
    so you can find either v or [itex]\omega[/itex] at the halfway mark, whichever you prefer.
  6. Oct 10, 2008 #5
    Thank you for your help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?