Tangential force - Vector analisys

In summary: Let me know if you have any further questions.In summary, the task at hand is to calculate the tangential force on a pipe of 16" diameter, attached to an actuator and rotated at angles of 60 degrees in the up position and -70 degrees in the down position. The distance from the center of the pipe to the lug is 12", and the length of the link attached to the lug is also 12". The tangential force can be calculated using the principles of torque and vector multiplication, and the scenario where the forces are balanced can be found by equating the torques in the up and down positions.
Cristodulus
Hello all,

I have a pipe of 16" diameter. A lug on the pipe and distance from center of the pipe to lug is r=12. A link (l=12") is attached on the pipe lug and attached on to an actuator positioned at distance d=12" from the center of the pipe. Actuator is rotating the pipe, 60 degree in up position and -70 degree in down position. I need to calculate the tangential force, force that makes the pipe to rotate. I need to do that so I come up with a scenario when the forces are balanced in up position and down position.
In the files attached is how I am trying to do it.
I calculate the force in up position (F1) (please see attachments) but I got stuck in vector multiplication.
Can somebody please enlighten me?

Thank you in advance!

C

Attachments

• Tangential Force.JPG
    Tangential Force.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 439
  • Tangential Force 1.pdf
    82.5 KB · Views: 165
Physics news on Phys.org
ara

Hello Cara,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. Based on the information provided, it seems like you are trying to calculate the tangential force on the pipe when it is rotated by the actuator. This can be done by using the principles of torque and vector multiplication.

First, let's define some variables:
- r = distance from center of pipe to lug (12")
- l = length of link (12")
- d = distance from center of pipe to actuator (12")
- F1 = force applied by actuator in up position
- F2 = force applied by actuator in down position
- θ1 = angle of rotation in up position (60 degrees)
- θ2 = angle of rotation in down position (-70 degrees)

To calculate the tangential force, we can use the equation:
T = F x r
where T is the torque, F is the force, and r is the distance from the center of the pipe to the point where the force is applied.

In the up position, the torque can be calculated as:
T1 = F1 x (r + l)
where (r + l) is the total distance from the center of the pipe to the point where the force is applied (12" + 12" = 24").

To find the force in the up position, we can rearrange the equation:
F1 = T1 / (r + l)

Substituting in the values given, we get:
F1 = (T1) / (12" + 12")

To calculate the torque in the down position, we can use a similar equation:
T2 = F2 x (r - l)
where (r - l) is the distance from the center of the pipe to the point where the force is applied (12" - 12" = 0).

To find the force in the down position, we can rearrange the equation:
F2 = T2 / (r - l)

Substituting in the values given, we get:
F2 = (T2) / (12" - 12")

To find the scenario where the forces are balanced, we can set F1 equal to F2 and solve for T1 and T2. This will give us the torque values at which the forces are balanced in both the up and down positions.

I hope this helps to clarify the process for calculating the tangential force on the pipe.

: Hello, thank you for sharing your problem with us. Tangential force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In order to calculate the tangential force in this scenario, we will need to use vector analysis. This involves breaking down the forces into their components and using vector addition and subtraction to determine the resultant force.

First, we can start by drawing a diagram of the forces acting on the pipe in the up position. The force from the actuator can be broken down into its horizontal and vertical components, with the horizontal component being the tangential force we are looking for. We can also break down the force from the pipe's weight into its horizontal and vertical components.

Next, we can use vector addition to find the resultant force in the horizontal direction. This will give us the magnitude of the tangential force. We can then use trigonometry to find the angle of the resultant force and determine its direction.

To find the balanced force scenario, we can use the same method for the down position, but this time the force from the actuator will have a different angle. By setting the resultant force in the horizontal direction to zero, we can solve for the angle and magnitude of the actuator force needed to balance the weight of the pipe.

I hope this helps you in your calculations. Vector analysis can be complex, so it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or do additional research to ensure accuracy. Good luck with your project!

1. What is tangential force?

Tangential force is a type of force applied to an object in a direction that is parallel to its surface. It is also known as a tangential component of force and is typically measured in newtons (N).

2. How is tangential force calculated?

Tangential force is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the cosine of the angle between the force and the object's surface. This angle is known as the angle of incidence or the angle of attack.

3. What is the difference between tangential force and normal force?

Tangential force acts parallel to an object's surface, while normal force acts perpendicular to the surface. In other words, normal force pushes or pulls an object directly away or towards the surface, while tangential force causes an object to slide or rotate along the surface.

4. How does tangential force affect an object's motion?

Tangential force can change the direction of an object's motion, causing it to turn or rotate. It also affects an object's speed, as a greater tangential force will result in a greater acceleration of the object.

5. How is tangential force used in real-world applications?

Tangential force is used in many real-world applications, such as in the design of vehicles and machinery. It is also important in sports, such as when throwing a ball or swinging a golf club, as the tangential force determines the direction and speed of the object's motion.