1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangents to a Polar Curve

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    Find the Cartesian equations of the tangent lines at the pole of r=sin2theta.

* I know to set r=sin2theta equal to zero. This means that theta can equal 0, pi/2, pi, 3pi/2, 2pi. Now I also know to plug each of these theta values into the equation for slope of a polar curve, which is:

r'sintheta + rcostheta/ (r'costheta- rsintheta)

r'= 2cos2theta

*So starting with 0, for example, gives you (2)(0) + (0)(1)/ ((2)(1)- (0)(0). This equals 0/2, which means its a horizontal tangents. I get similar results for the other theta values- either horizontal or vertical tangents. Using x=rcostheta for vertical tangents, @ 0 i get x=0 (and similar results for the other values). I'm so confused though- this doesn't make sense, I looked at the polar graph and I can't see how the tangents at the pole are x=0 and y=0! What am I doing wrong? Any help would be very much appreciated! :-)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?