Calculating Filling Time for a Diving Tank with Changing Hydrostatic Pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses filling a tank with air at atmospheric pressure and how the pressure changes when the tank is submerged in water. The ideal gas law is mentioned as a possible calculation method. It is also noted that the answer may be an infinite time to fill the tank due to changing pressure.
jean
Hey,

Let's imagine I have a tank, filled with air at atmospheric pressure. This tank have a closing/opening valve.
I dive this tank at 100m under water and opened ce valve, my filling speed will be sqrt( 2*g*h) with h=100m.
Now, if i want to dive the tank (with a volume X) continuously at a velocity Vd. How can i calculate, how much time it will take to fill it ? Asa water enter the tank, the pressure won't be Patm anymore..
Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
jean said:
Hey,

Let's imagine I have a tank, filled with air at atmospheric pressure. This tank have a closing/opening valve.
I dive this tank at 100m under water and opened ce valve, my filling speed will be sqrt( 2*g*h) with h=100m.
Now, if i want to dive the tank (with a volume X) continuously at a velocity Vd. How can i calculate, how much time it will take to fill it ? Asa water enter the tank, the pressure won't be Patm anymore..
Thanks !
Use the ideal gas law for the air pressure in the tank.

By the way, is this a homework problem?

Yes i can use P1 V1 = P2 V2 (but i guess the air goes away in bubble and not compressed right ?) and no it's not a homework. The answer may be: it will take an infinite time to fill the tank because while we go in depth, the difference of pressure btw the outside and the inside will decrease and so the filling speed... The volume filled will be like an exponential with an horizontal asymptote.. What do you think? Thanks

1. What is the difference between tank pressure and hydrostatic pressure?

Tank pressure is the internal pressure within a closed container, such as a tank or vessel, while hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid due to gravity.

2. How is hydrostatic pressure calculated in a tank?

Hydrostatic pressure in a tank is calculated by multiplying the density of the liquid by the height of the liquid column and the gravitational constant (ρgh).

3. What factors affect the hydrostatic pressure in a tank?

The main factors that affect hydrostatic pressure in a tank are the density of the liquid, the height of the liquid column, and the gravitational constant. Additionally, the shape and size of the tank can also impact the pressure.

4. How does hydrostatic pressure impact tank design?

Hydrostatic pressure is an important factor to consider in tank design as it determines the strength and thickness of the tank walls. The higher the pressure, the thicker the walls need to be to withstand the force.

5. How is hydrostatic pressure used in industrial applications?

Hydrostatic pressure is commonly used in industrial applications, such as in hydraulic systems, to control and move fluids. It is also used in the oil and gas industry to determine the depth of wells and to measure fluid levels in tanks.