1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Tank and hydrostatic pressure

1. May 20, 2017 #1
    Hey,

Let's imagine I have a tank, filled with air at atmospheric pressure. This tank have a closing/opening valve.
    I dive this tank at 100m under water and opened ce valve, my filling speed will be sqrt( 2*g*h) with h=100m.
    Now, if i want to dive the tank (with a volume X) continuously at a velocity Vd. How can i calculate, how much time it will take to fill it ? Asa water enter the tank, the pressure won't be Patm anymore..
    Thanks !

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2017 #2
    Use the ideal gas law for the air pressure in the tank.

By the way, is this a homework problem?

4. May 20, 2017 #3
    Yes i can use P1 V1 = P2 V2 (but i guess the air goes away in bubble and not compressed right ?) and no it's not a homework. The answer may be: it will take an infinite time to fill the tank because while we go in depth, the difference of pressure btw the outside and the inside will decrease and so the filling speed... The volume filled will be like an exponential with an horizontal asymptote.. What do you think? Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted