Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tank capacity

1. Mar 12, 2004 #1

roy

Dont know if this is the right forum for this question, let me know if its not!
    Im designing a car and i need a 50 litre fuel tank. Can anyone tell me what the dimensions of the fuel tank would need to be?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We can't answer this without more information on the shape you want. You could make a long skinny tank or a cubic tank to hold exactly the same amount.

In any case, you should know that a litre is defined as 1000 cubic centimetres. A 50 litre fuel take would be 50000 cubic centimetres. If you made one in the shape of a cube, each side one have to be "cube root of 50000"= 36.8 centimeters, a little more than 1/3 of a metre, on each side. On the other hand, if you made the tank in the shape of a sphere, it would have to be about 11.5 cm in diameter.
    For a general rectangular tank, you need to find three convenient numbers whose product is 50000- those will be the dimensions in cm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?