1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tank capacity

1. Mar 12, 2004 #1

roy

Dont know if this is the right forum for this question, let me know if its not!
    Im designing a car and i need a 50 litre fuel tank. Can anyone tell me what the dimensions of the fuel tank would need to be?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We can't answer this without more information on the shape you want. You could make a long skinny tank or a cubic tank to hold exactly the same amount.

In any case, you should know that a litre is defined as 1000 cubic centimetres. A 50 litre fuel take would be 50000 cubic centimetres. If you made one in the shape of a cube, each side one have to be "cube root of 50000"= 36.8 centimeters, a little more than 1/3 of a metre, on each side. On the other hand, if you made the tank in the shape of a sphere, it would have to be about 11.5 cm in diameter.
    For a general rectangular tank, you need to find three convenient numbers whose product is 50000- those will be the dimensions in cm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook