Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tank circuit

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    I'm building a tank circuit and I need to know if a ground connection is needed.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to give us more details.
    There are many different types of tank circuits.
  4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    The tank circuit is a L/C parallel filter.
  5. Nov 16, 2008 #4
    From what I was reading is that the tank circuit creates a high impedance towards frequencies outside the resonace frequency of the circuit. So wouldn't the circuit cause frequencies outside the resonant frequency to die out rapidly. So would there need to be a ground connection or would the high impedance in the circuit have no need for a ground connection.
  6. Nov 16, 2008 #5
    Any response for the question.
  7. Nov 16, 2008 #6
  8. Nov 16, 2008 #7
    Thank you for the information, but this circuit is only a capacitor and inductor in a parallel circuit, with an input and output. But i'm not sure if i need a ground connection for the circuit to operate properly. Am i right to think that the high impediance in the circuit toward frequencies outside the resonant frequency of the circuit will cause those frequencies to die out rapidly and not affect the output signal. or does the circuit need a ground terminal to direct unwanted frequencies out of the circuit.
  9. Nov 16, 2008 #8
    You need to draw a schematic and post it. A parallel L/C circuit appears as a low impedance anywhere except at resonance. So, it depends on how the tank circuit is arranged relative to the rest of the circuits.
  10. Nov 17, 2008 #9
    3 elements in a network allows you to tune it and impedance match it to the load.
  11. Nov 17, 2008 #10
    I can't get the picture to post on the site. but I can tell you that there are no other circuits arranged with this circuit. All it is, is a capacitor and inductor in parallel to one another with an input and output. I don't know if that answers your question.
  12. Nov 17, 2008 #11
    It is exactly what you said it is: A tank circuit. Until you hook it to something else, it behaves exactly how I described in my previous post. Where does this 'input' come from and where does the 'output' go to?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?