Tank Level Monitor: Count 5 Seconds for Every Level Increase

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a circuit to monitor the level of a fluid in a tank. The design includes a timer that counts 5 seconds every time the liquid reaches the next level. Various methods of activating the timer are suggested, including using a capacitor sensor or sending current to complete a circuit. The use of a 555 timer as a monostable oscillator is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about the type of sensor being used and how to indicate when 5 seconds have passed.
reinaldo
Tank Level Monitor!

Hey Everybody!...i have a concern!...i need to do a circuit that moniotors me the level of a fluid in a tank...the thing is that i have the design...but i need to count 5 seconds everytime that the liquid gets to the next level...i mean...

the tank is empty...you start pouring water, when it gets to the first level it must activate a circuit that counts me 5 seconds...after that you continue pouring water, when you get to the next level it counts again 5 seconds!and so on to the 8th level...how would you do that??...what kind of circuit would you need there?...thanks a lot!...i´ll left you the schematic so you can see it!...

Attachments

• water height.bmp
    295.7 KB · Views: 529
Engineering news on Phys.org
just a small timer like 555 to count 5s. how are you puring water? because after 5s you need something to latch it to pour the water. if it takes a high signal to signal start of pour water then keep it low, after 5s sent high signal.

as to how to activate the signal, a method possible are capacitor sensor. look for a book called capacitive sensor by Baxter. Also what sort of accuracy?

Maybe you can send some current. When it hits the level you want, current will flow and complete a circuit, you start timer. once 5s pass, pour water and wait for next stage.

Its just a simple circuit!...i will pour the water...when it gets to the first level i´ll stop...and the timer must count 5 secs...and show it...ist to simulate or assume that there goes a circuit that stops the Pump for 5 secs or Xsecs and after that continues pouring until next level and so on...my point is...should i use a monoestable resetable?...or something else?...how with the same timer do i count the five secs and show it and then five seconds again...etc...thanks!

which sensor you are using...

what do you mean "and show it"? Indicate that 5 seconds have gone by? You can do that with a 555 timer configured as a monostable oscillator. A sample schematic can be found at this link: http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html#2

What are you using for the senors? are you just using a float type sensor?

1. What is a Tank Level Monitor?

A Tank Level Monitor is a device that is used to measure the amount of liquid or gas in a tank. It typically consists of a sensor that is placed inside the tank and a display unit that provides real-time readings of the tank's level.

2. How does a Tank Level Monitor work?

A Tank Level Monitor works by using a sensor to measure the pressure or weight of the liquid or gas in the tank. As the level of the liquid or gas changes, the sensor detects this change and sends a signal to the display unit, which then shows the updated level.

3. Why is it important to count 5 seconds for every level increase?

Counting 5 seconds for every level increase is important because it allows for a more accurate reading of the tank's level. By taking a measurement every 5 seconds, any fluctuations in the level can be detected and accounted for, providing a more precise reading.

4. What are the benefits of using a Tank Level Monitor?

Using a Tank Level Monitor has several benefits, including accurate and real-time measurements of the tank's level, early detection of leaks or other issues, and improved efficiency in managing the tank's contents. It also eliminates the need for manual measurement, which can be time-consuming and potentially dangerous.

5. Can a Tank Level Monitor be used for different types of tanks?

Yes, a Tank Level Monitor can be used for various types of tanks, including above-ground and underground tanks, as well as tanks of different sizes and materials. However, the type of sensor used may vary depending on the type of tank and the liquid or gas being measured.