1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Target area, collimated beam

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The intensity of a collimated, parallel beam of K atoms is reduced 3.0% by a layer of Ar gas 1.0 mm thick at a pressure of 6.0 x 10^-4 mmHg. Calculate the effective target area per argon atom. (this is B-4 from "introductory exercises in physics")

2. Relevant equations
    I've been trying transmission T = I/I naught = e^(-x/l)
    Where x is 1mm, T is .97, and l is the mean free path which includes the cross section.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Im assuming the cross section of argon is the same thing as the effective target area per argon atom they are asking for, so I solve for that. I use l = {(2^.5) A n}^-1. A is the area im looking for and n is the number of molecules per volume. To get n I convert the pressure given into molecules/volume. Not sure why but I cant seem to get anything close to the stated answer of 1.4 x 10^-14 cm^2.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2
    The problem with the above is that I was incorrectly converting pressure to g/cm^3. I thought that, given the definition of mmHg as "The millimeter of mercury (symbol: mmHg) is defined as the pressure exerted at the base of a column of fluid exactly 1 mm high, when the density of the fluid is exactly 13.5951 g/cm3, at a place where the acceleration of gravity is exactly 9.80665 m/s2" I could just do a ratio like 1/13.5951 = 6x10^-4/x where x is the density. Not sure why this doesn't work, but every other step in the solution is pretty trivial so...

I suppose my real problem is not being able to find molecules/volume with only the information supplied by the text. Is there any way to get density with neither temperature nor volume?
  4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    Yep, im sure this is the right path to a solution. I just don't know how to find n in the following formula from what is given. Any ideas?

5. Sep 29, 2010 #4
    Well, after all this, the solution was pretty trivial. Big thing I overlooked for a long time was just to assume the temperature of the gas to be 0 C. I thought since the density I was calculating was different the temperature had to be as well, but I guess thats not the case. Using the ideal gas law to solve for n, the number density, gives

P = pRT/M

Where P is pressure, p is density, R is gas constant, M is molar mass. But p is also

p = nM/N

Where n is number density, and N is avogadro's number. So, solving for n

n = P / kT

Using .08 Pa for P and 273 K for T gives an n which then works in the formula

Probability of hit = ns dx

Where s is the cross section, dx is .1 cm, Probability is the given 3%. All this gives the right answer.

I guess I couldve also just solved it algebraically like

s = ProbkT/Pdx

Well, I learned a lot on the side from this anyways...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook