1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tarzan problem

1. Jan 9, 2007 #1
    "Tarzan" problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Tarzan (m=85kg) tries to cross a river by swinging from a 10.0m long vine. His speed at the bottom of the swing, just as he clears the water, is 8.0 m/s. Tarzan doesn't know that the vine has a breaking strength of 1.0 x 10^3 N Does he make it safely across the river? Justify your answer."

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]F_{c}=\frac{mv_{t}^2}{r}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to substitute in the variables as such:
    [tex]F_{c}=\frac{85kg*\left(8.0\frac{m}{s}\right)^2}{10.0m}[/tex]
    I got 544N, which is not the answer(1.37x10^3N is his 'weight' at this point, greater than the rope). Am I missing something obvious?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

You do not have the right formula. You are thinking of Centripetal Force, this is Pendulum Motion.

4. Jan 9, 2007 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have correctly identified the centripetal force as 544N. The centripetal force is the net force acting up toward the center of the circle. The net force is a combination of the tension force up and his weight (not his 'weight' as you have described...his weight is m*g) down. Solve for T. Does the rope break?

5. Jan 9, 2007 #4

ShawnD

Science Advisor

This is correct. Add 544N to (85 x 9.8) and you get 1377N

6. Jan 9, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Is it too late to pretend I havent said anything? eep my bad, just ignore anything i say

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?