Tarzan's River Crossing Dilemma: Can He Swing Across Safely?

• Thread starter mikesown
  • Start date
In summary, Tarzan swings from a vine with a breaking strength of 1.0 x 10^3 N. His speed at the bottom of the swing, just as he clears the water, is 8.0 m/s. Tarzan doesn't know this and assumes the vine has a greater breaking strength, which would results in him crossing the river safely. However, when he calculates the centripetal force, he finds that the net force is 544N, which is more than the breaking strength of the vine. Thus, the vine does break and Tarzan falls into the river.
mikesown
"Tarzan" problem

Homework Statement

"Tarzan (m=85kg) tries to cross a river by swinging from a 10.0m long vine. His speed at the bottom of the swing, just as he clears the water, is 8.0 m/s. Tarzan doesn't know that the vine has a breaking strength of 1.0 x 10^3 N Does he make it safely across the river? Justify your answer."

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{c}=\frac{mv_{t}^2}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to substitute in the variables as such:
[tex]F_{c}=\frac{85kg*\left(8.0\frac{m}{s}\right)^2}{10.0m}[/tex]
I got 544N, which is not the answer(1.37x10^3N is his 'weight' at this point, greater than the rope). Am I missing something obvious?

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not have the right formula. You are thinking of Centripetal Force, this is Pendulum Motion.

mikesown said:

Homework Statement

"Tarzan (m=85kg) tries to cross a river by swinging from a 10.0m long vine. His speed at the bottom of the swing, just as he clears the water, is 8.0 m/s. Tarzan doesn't know that the vine has a breaking strength of 1.0 x 10^3 N Does he make it safely across the river? Justify your answer."

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{c}=\frac{mv_{t}^2}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to substitute in the variables as such:
[tex]F_{c}=\frac{85kg*\left(8.0\frac{m}{s}\right)^2}{10.0m}[/tex]
I got 544N, which is not the answer(1.37x10^3N is his 'weight' at this point, greater than the rope). Am I missing something obvious?
You have correctly identified the centripetal force as 544N. The centripetal force is the net force acting up toward the center of the circle. The net force is a combination of the tension force up and his weight (not his 'weight' as you have described...his weight is m*g) down. Solve for T. Does the rope break?

PhanthomJay said:
The net force is a combination of the tension force up and his weight

This is correct. Add 544N to (85 x 9.8) and you get 1377N

Is it too late to pretend I haven't said anything? eep my bad, just ignore anything i say

1. How wide is the river that Tarzan needs to cross?

The width of the river can vary depending on the location and version of the story, but it is typically described as being around 100 feet wide.

2. How strong are the vines that Tarzan uses to swing across the river?

The strength of the vines can also vary, but they are typically described as being thick and sturdy, capable of holding Tarzan's weight.

3. How fast is the river's current?

The speed of the river's current can also vary, but it is usually described as being swift and turbulent, making it difficult for Tarzan to cross safely.

4. What are the potential risks for Tarzan if he attempts to swing across the river?

The risks for Tarzan include falling into the river, getting tangled in the vines, or encountering dangerous animals or obstacles along the way.

5. Is there a safer way for Tarzan to cross the river?

Some versions of the story suggest that Tarzan may have other options for crossing the river, such as building a bridge or using a boat, but swinging on vines is often considered his preferred and most efficient method.