Understanding Concentration Calculations

In summary, you should add 227.78 mL of water to 50 mL of glucose solution to get a solution with a concentration of 0,002 mol/dm3.
Motivanka
Hello!
I have few questions regarding concentrations and I am really confused:
1. Task: How many cm3 of water should be added on 50 cm3 solution of glucose which has mass concentration 2 g/dm3 to get solution that has concentration 0,002 mol/dm3 ?
So what happened is that I got correct result but I think its not good procedure:

V1(H2O) =?
V2(C6H12O6)=50cm3=0,05dm3
ϒ2(C6H12O6)=2 g/dm3
C2(C6H12O6)=0,002 mol/dm3

V1⋅ϒ1=V2⋅ϒ2
V1=(V2⋅ϒ2) / ϒ1

ϒ1=?

C2= n2 / V || n2=m2 / M2
C2=m2 / (M2 ⋅ V ) || ϒ1 = C2 ⋅ M2 ⇒ This is what confused me. If I put all data above in this I'll get 0,36 g/dm3

and after that when I put data in formula V1 = (V2⋅ϒ2) / ϒ1 I'll get V1=0,277 dm3 = 277,78 cm3

AND THAT IS CORRECT RESULT ! BUT how come I can get mass concentration of water while using data for glucose this is what consfuses me ! If I haven't done it well can someone explain me or give me any idea please.
What confuses me the most is relation of different solution and solvent I can't relate them by formulas. I am ok with these tasks : How many cm3 20% solution of HCl density ∫=1,1 g/cm3 is required for prepearing 1dm3 HCl if C=2 mol/l BUT when it comes to different solution and solvent I am stuck.

Sorry for bad english its not my native language :D

Thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
The volume you got was of the final solution = 277.78 mL and hence, the water to be added is = (277.78-50)mL = 227.78mL.

There is another easy method which is called "Unitary Method" and you also don't have to remember any formulas for that :wink:

There are ## 2*0.001 ## gms glucose in 1 mL
so in 50mL there are ## 0.1 ##gms glucose

and let x mL of water be added
This is Dilution so gms of glucose will not change
so in (50+x)mL of final solution there are ## 0.1 ##gms of glucose

Now it is easily solvable as you know the concentration of the final solution is ## 2*0.000001 mols/mL ##

Thank you so much for your help :D I got an idea. When you said " the volume you got was of the final solution = 277.78 mL and hence, the water to be added is = (277.78-50)mL = 227.78mL." which means that what upset me was mass concentration of whole solution not only for water, so after finding it I should put it in this formula V=(V2⋅ϒ2)/ϒ and Ill get volume of whole solution and then detract it with 50 cm3 and get VH2O=227,78 ml. Ill take for further tasks second way. Thanks again :)

1. What is concentration?

Concentration refers to the ability to focus one's attention and mental effort on a particular task or activity.

2. How can I improve my concentration?

There are several ways to improve concentration, such as practicing mindfulness, breaking tasks into smaller chunks, eliminating distractions, and getting enough rest and exercise.

3. Why is concentration important?

Concentration is important because it allows individuals to complete tasks efficiently and effectively, leading to better performance and productivity.

4. What are some common obstacles to concentration?

Common obstacles to concentration include distractions, stress, fatigue, and lack of interest or motivation in the task at hand.

5. How can I maintain concentration for longer periods of time?

To maintain concentration for longer periods of time, it is helpful to take regular breaks, use techniques such as the Pomodoro method, and engage in activities that promote mental focus, such as meditation or deep breathing exercises.