Why was writer Taslima Nasreen attacked by Muslim protesters?

• Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date
In summary: There is a pathological lack of self-criticism within the Muslim world. Too many prefer to go into hot-headed denial and blame-shifting, conjuring up insane conspiracy theories on the spot just to make themselves feel better (like the very prevalent view that it was the Zionists who were responsible for 9/11, not muslims).
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This is bloody outrageous :mad:

Protesters attack author Nasreen

Muslim protesters have attacked controversial Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasreen during a book launch in Andhra Pradesh state in southern India.

Lawmakers and members of a political party assaulted the exiled feminist author as she presented a translation of one of her novels in Hyderabad.

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6938887.stm)

You can see the barbaric attacks on youtube.

The leaders of the political party which lead the attack made statements like

"We were all set to kill her"
"We are very proud of our MLAs and activists who assaulted her"
"We will implement the fatwa issued against Taslima if she comes to the city again"
(source: http://www.theamericanmuslim.org/ta...from_mim_for_attack_on_taslima_nasrin/0014396)

Then, shockingly, instead of arresting and jailing the sadistic moron for a death theat, this happened.

The city police have registered a case against controversial Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasrin, who was recently attacked by workers of Majlis Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) here, for allegedly creating ill-feeling among communities.

The writer has been booked under IPC Section 153 (A) (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, language etc) on a complaint registered by MIM legislator Akbaruddin Owaisi, police said today.

(http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/001200708111758.htm )

Which begs the question, what the ****?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's really sad, but religion and racism are very ingrained in some societies and the religious zealots are very afraid of anyone they see as a threat to their beliefs, which could ultimately result in an end to their control of the populace.

Islamic societies have proven themselves incapable of stemming the growth of radical Islam. De-radicalization can only happen through external pressure, there is not sufficient strength within these country to stop the movement.

Evo said:
It's really sad, but religion and racism are very ingrained in some societies and the religious zealots are very afraid of anyone they see as a threat to their beliefs, which could ultimately result in an end to their control of the populace.

That's very true.
Islamic societies have proven themselves incapable of stemming the growth of radical Islam. De-radicalization can only happen through external pressure, there is not sufficient strength within these country to stop the movement.

But the thing is, India is supposed to be a secular democracy :cry:

I'm appalled that the police have booked a case against Taslima. If "protecting religious sentiments" is being used to somehow justify this incident, let the attackers go free, and arresting Taslima, then there's something really really wrong which needs to be fixed.

Radical Islam is spreading like wildfire throughout Muslim subcommunities all over the world, with the agenda of all-out genocide on non-believers.

This is not something from your average fantasy novel, but the stark, grim reality we are facing today.

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20070022371&ch=8/12/2007%202:53:00%20PM

I didn't know that Taslima Nasreen was also charged - I thought the police merely registered a complaint against her, filed by the MIM legislator. I think that case will be thrown out. I know that many of the violent protesters were arrested and the MLA that made the death threat was booked by the local police and is "under investigation". I don't expect an arrest to result from this though.

Unfortunately once people believe their view is the objective view of the world and they can't accept that for the most part these things are subjective, then that breeds hatred and intolerance. There is a serious lack of critical thinking about ideas in the general populace of the world which needs to be addressed.

Kurdt said:
Unfortunately once people believe their view is the objective view of the world and they can't accept that for the most part these things are subjective, then that breeds hatred and intolerance. There is a serious lack of critical thinking about ideas in the general populace of the world which needs to be addressed.
Indeed.
There is a pathological lack of self-criticism within the Muslim world.
Too many prefer to go into hot-headed denial and blame-shifting, conjuring up insane conspiracy theories on the spot just to make themselves feel better (like the very prevalent view that it was the Zionists who were responsible for 9/11, not muslims).

Those within the Muslim world who ARE troubled by the countless acts of terrorism done in the name of their God know perfectly well there will be at least a dozen hotheads in his immediate vicinity, like family members, friends or neighbours who will not hesitate killing them if speaking out in public.

So they keep silent.
The Muslim world is self-policing, preventing any type of criticism to come to the surface and gain momentum, due to the high acceptance and prevalence of brute physical force to be used against any critic of Islam.

They are trapped in a culture of violence and hatred they are unable to get rid of by themselves.

They are their own jailers, torturers and killers, at every level of their society.

I don't think that Muslim bashing is going to help matters. Neither will external interference. It will further alienate moderate Muslims from the mainstream and give the radicals more scope for claiming that Muslims are victimized and looked down upon by people of other religions, which can be disastrous.

What Muslim bashing?

To tell facts is not bashing, however uncomfortable that this is to someone.

What was not factual in what I wrote?

arildno said:
The Muslim world is self-policing, preventing any type of criticism to come to the surface and gain momentum, due to the high acceptance and prevalence of brute physical force to be used against any critic of Islam.

They are trapped in a culture of violence and hatred they are unable to get rid of by themselves.

They are their own jailers, torturers and killers, at every level of their society.
All this is very harsh. And how do you call this factual?
I agree that radical Islam has become a huge problem, but claiming that their entire culture is one of violence and hatred is not acceptable. You forget that Taslima Narseen is also a Muslim and she isn't keeping quiet.

shramana said:
I agree that radical Islam has become a huge problem, but claiming that their entire culture is one of violence and hatred is not acceptable. You forget that Taslima Narseen is also a Muslim and she isn't keeping quiet.
Taslima Nasrin is an ex-Muslim

So is Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

So is Wafa Sultan.

So is Nonie Darwish.

So is Walid Shoebat.

Listen to THEIR stories and others like them.

Violence done upon Muslim women is rampant throughout the entire world.
Learn from that before you start whining about "harshness" of criticism.

shramana said:
I don't think that Muslim bashing is going to help matters. Neither will external interference. It will further alienate moderate Muslims from the mainstream and give the radicals more scope for claiming that Muslims are victimized and looked down upon by people of other religions, which can be disastrous.

Islamophobia is a myth. The Muslim world has had a 1000 years to clean up their act by themselves. It hasn't worked so far. Moderate Muslims are part of the problem, as they themselves shelter and foster Islamic fundamentalism.

I agree that radical Islam has become a huge problem, but claiming that their entire culture is one of violence and hatred is not acceptable.

Religious and cultural Islam is very destructive. The parts that are not have not been created from within, but from without.

If you think Islam is just about peace, pick up a copy of the Qur'an or any news paper and read.

Talking of violence against women, it's not restricted to Islamic society, it's very prevalent among Hindus as well. It is a scocial problem not a religious one.

Consider the difference in evolution of India and Pakistan.
Pakistan has driven itself into economical bankruptcy since the independence, whereas the Hindus in India has greatly increased the standards of living.

Whereas in Pakistan, the civil rights given by the British law code have been systematically undermined, particularly under Zia-ul-Haq, reverting to a sharia-like state, India has expanded these civil rights having gradually dismantled the evils of the caste system, for example.

There are no excuses for the Islamic countries, they are driving themselves into hell-holes of their own construction.

shramana said:
Talking of violence against women, it's not restricted to Islamic society, it's very prevalent among Hindus as well. It is a scocial problem not a religious one.
No, it is straight out of the Quran.

Whereas woman rights movements are flourishing in India working towards amelioration, this is not the case within Islamic countries.

Please do not distort the truth as you have been systematically doing up to now.
Do not make up more excuses for Islam.

Maybe what you are saying is correct. What I said is probably very narrow-minded. I have never come into contact with any religious zealots.
I simply don't like dragging religion into every issue.

Since what this thread was actually about Islamic hot-heads trying to MURDER an author critical of Islam, you had no business trying to defend the religion that are breeding this type of individuals in a manner totally unlike any other religion.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself trying to exonerate Islam from its complicity in this.

shramana said:
I simply don't like dragging religion into every issue.

In this instance, the reason behind the attack is clearly because of a religious ideology.

However, I don't think it's appropriate to discuss the hypothesis of an inherent relation between Islam and violence in this thread, because such a discussion would seem to violate the guidelines, irrespective of whether the claim is true or not.

Last edited:
siddharth said:
In this instance, the reason behind the attack is clearly because of a religious ideology.

However, I don't think it's appropriate to discuss the hypothesis of an inherent relation between Islam and violence in this thread, because such a discussion will violate the guidelines.

Okay.
Let's just drop it, then.

Gokul43201 said:
http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20070022371&ch=8/12/2007%202:53:00%20PM

I didn't know that Taslima Nasreen was also charged - I thought the police merely registered a complaint against her, filed by the MIM legislator. I think that case will be thrown out. I know that many of the violent protesters were arrested and the MLA that made the death threat was booked by the local police and is "under investigation". I don't expect an arrest to result from this though.

Thanks, didn't see that.

It's weird that the police booked the case against Taslima first, and only then booked the MLA who made the threat. In fact, it seems they even waited for permission before booking him, despite the blatant threat.

1. Who is Taslima Nasreen?

Taslima Nasreen is a Bangladeshi writer, activist, and physician, known for her feminist and humanist views. She has written many novels, memoirs, and essays, and has faced significant controversy and backlash for her outspoken criticism of religion and patriarchal society.

2. When was Taslima Nasreen attacked?

Taslima Nasreen has faced multiple attacks throughout her career. One of the most well-known incidents occurred in 1994, when radical Muslim groups in Bangladesh issued a fatwa (religious edict) calling for her death. She has also been physically assaulted and received death threats in other countries, including India and Sweden.

3. Why was Taslima Nasreen attacked?

Taslima Nasreen has been attacked for her controversial views on religion, women's rights, and social issues. Some extremist groups have viewed her writings and activism as blasphemous or anti-Islamic, leading to violent attacks and attempts on her life.

4. What were the consequences of the attack on Taslima Nasreen?

The attack on Taslima Nasreen had severe consequences for her personal safety and well-being. She was forced to leave Bangladesh and live in exile for many years, facing constant death threats and restrictions on her freedom of speech. The attack also brought international attention to her situation and the issue of freedom of expression in Bangladesh.

5. What has Taslima Nasreen done since the attack?

Despite the challenges and dangers she has faced, Taslima Nasreen continues to write and speak out on issues related to women's rights, secularism, and free speech. She has published several books and continues to be a prominent figure in the global humanist and feminist movement. She also founded the human rights organization "No Country for Women" to fight against oppression and discrimination faced by women in South Asia.

Back