Tasting Experiment - Can Friend Distinguish Pepsi from Coke?

• Thread starter musicgold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the speaker is discussing an experiment where their friend was able to correctly identify Coke and Pepsi drinks from 10 randomly arranged glasses. They are unsure of which null hypothesis to use (C = 0 or C = 10) and which distribution to use (binomial or normal). They plan to calculate the p value to determine the likelihood of their friend's correct identifications.
musicgold
Hi,

One of my friends was bragging that he could distinguish between Coke and Pepsi drinks just by taste. So I challenged him to taste drinks from 10 glasses and identify them as a Pepsi or a Coke. In five of the ten randomly arranged glasses, I had poured Pepsi and Coke in the remaining. He could correctly identify the drinks in seven out of the 10 glasses (C = 7, where C means correctly identified).

Now I am trying to analyze the result; however, I am not clear on two issues.

1. What should be the null hypothesis in this experiment, C = 0 or C = 10?

2. Which distribution to use? My guess is that I should be using a binomial distribution for this experiment, as there are only two outcomes for each trial. If that is correct, how do I find the p value of the experiment?
I know that the binomial distribution is a special case of the normal distribution, but not sure whether should I use the critical value tables for the normal distribution or t-distributions.

Thanks,

MG

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The usual idea would be to show that you can't reject the null hypothesis that p = 0.5 (that your friend just guessed well). You then add up the chance that the friend guessed 10, 9, 8, and 7 correctly (using the binomial distribution) and see how likely that is. If it's below 5% (or 100% - c, where c is your confidence -- I used the standard 95%) then you can't reject the possibility that your friend guessed well but can't tell them apart.

1. What is the purpose of the tasting experiment?

The purpose of the tasting experiment is to determine whether a friend can accurately distinguish between Pepsi and Coke based on taste alone. This experiment is often used to test people's brand loyalty and taste preferences.

2. How is the tasting experiment conducted?

The tasting experiment typically involves blindfolding the friend and giving them small sips of both Pepsi and Coke without revealing which one is which. They will then be asked to identify which drink is Pepsi and which is Coke. This process is repeated multiple times to ensure accuracy.

3. What is the significance of using a blindfold in the experiment?

Blindfolding the friend prevents any visual cues or biases from influencing their taste perception. This ensures that the results of the experiment are solely based on the taste of the drinks and not influenced by other factors.

4. How are the results of the tasting experiment analyzed?

The results of the tasting experiment can be analyzed using statistical methods, such as calculating the percentage of correct identifications or conducting a t-test. These analyses can determine if the friend was able to accurately distinguish between Pepsi and Coke or if their results were based on chance.

5. What does the outcome of the tasting experiment suggest?

The outcome of the tasting experiment can provide insights into people's brand preferences and the effectiveness of branding and marketing strategies. It may also suggest that there are distinct taste differences between Pepsi and Coke that can be perceived by individuals.