1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tasting experiment

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    Hi,

One of my friends was bragging that he could distinguish between Coke and Pepsi drinks just by taste. So I challenged him to taste drinks from 10 glasses and identify them as a Pepsi or a Coke. In five of the ten randomly arranged glasses, I had poured Pepsi and Coke in the remaining. He could correctly identify the drinks in seven out of the 10 glasses (C = 7, where C means correctly identified).

Now I am trying to analyze the result; however, I am not clear on two issues.

1. What should be the null hypothesis in this experiment, C = 0 or C = 10?

2. Which distribution to use? My guess is that I should be using a binomial distribution for this experiment, as there are only two outcomes for each trial. If that is correct, how do I find the p value of the experiment?
    I know that the binomial distribution is a special case of the normal distribution, but not sure whether should I use the critical value tables for the normal distribution or t-distributions.

Thanks,

MG

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The usual idea would be to show that you can't reject the null hypothesis that p = 0.5 (that your friend just guessed well). You then add up the chance that the friend guessed 10, 9, 8, and 7 correctly (using the binomial distribution) and see how likely that is. If it's below 5% (or 100% - c, where c is your confidence -- I used the standard 95%) then you can't reject the possibility that your friend guessed well but can't tell them apart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook