Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tattoo of Newton's second law

1. Jun 29, 2012 #1
    So this is slightly off topic but still physics related.

I want to get a tattoo of Newton's second law in a few forms on my arm and this is what I've settled on:

[tex]\sum{\vec{F}}=\frac{∂\vec{p}}{∂t}=-\nablaφ[/tex]

The only thing I am a bit worried about, is although I aesthetically like the partial derivative symbolism better am I just a bit worried about having something permanent on my arm that is incorrect. So just as a verification, would it be silly if the partial differential symbols were used in place of the ordinary ones? Thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2012 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Tatoo?

Yes, it looks silly.

4. Jun 29, 2012 #3

don't get equations tattooed, ever

5. Jun 29, 2012 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Agreed with both of them

6. Jun 29, 2012 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

you could tatoo yourself with a collection of prime numbers and then when someone asks you could say you're the indivisible man.

if you like the flow of the partial maybe you should look into Tengwar the elven language in the Lord of the Rings. Its cryptic but can be phonetically pronounced and looks cool although perhaps not as a tatoo.

7. Jun 30, 2012 #6

chiro

Science Advisor

Ba doom tish!

8. Jun 30, 2012 #7

Agreed. Equations in particular are just silly, though there is nothing wrong with mathematical concepts in general (I've been working on a design that illustrates a mapping between a simplicial complex and a 2-sphere)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook