Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tax racing fuel heavily

Tags:
  1. Aug 31, 2005 #1
    NASCAR is annoying enough, without the figure that over 5% of the nation's gasoline supply (a large percentage of what we are forced to import) is wasted on the non-sport of auto racing. It's time we taxed some sensibility into this American-antithetical conspicuous consumption.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2005 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

i always thought nascar is the most retarded thing to watch or even enjoy

let alone participate in

4. Aug 31, 2005 #3
    Could you show your math, please?

5. Aug 31, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I say tax all sports right through the roof...say a 100% tax tacked onto all sales. Taxing gas for Nascar, say $5 - $50 per gallon, is a no brainer in my book.

6. Aug 31, 2005 #5
    We could just ban auto racing. We could ban it on the grounds of emissions and useless consumption of resources.
    I have a friend who would hate it though.

7. Aug 31, 2005 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

You know its a funny thing to say, but if i was ever going to become a mass murder, id probably start off by whacking every NASCAR driver, executive, fan, investor, and employee. Why go easy on people these days? We go to war against terrorists, dont we? Well if you do some calculations and optimization here, you'll see the aforementioned people are far worse than terrorists.

And no, I am not joking.

8. Aug 31, 2005 #7
    hitssquad,

Unfortunately, it's more my memory than math. Maybe someone could dredge up the actual statistics for me.

Aside: Mercedes pulled out of racing for forty years after one of their cars exploded in the grandstands, killing more than 300 spectators.

9. Aug 31, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

.... since every SUV in this country combined supposedly consumes 10% of the nations gasoline.... i REALLY think your figure is off.

While we're at it, lets ban all protests because cars have to stop when the streets are blocked off. How bout movies? Cars have to drive there and all movies suck now-a-days. How bout banning books too, cant hurt trees. All schools should be banned as well, those parking lots are a death trap. Hey lets shut down the internet, it uses quite a lot of power.

Lets also call for the murder of everyone who enjoys Pepsi. Consumer freedom is bad and it takes gas to produce pepsi. Why not people who enjoy carls jr? Death to them, they drive. Hell since I dont like Panda Express, death to every asian. How bout that. I mean we might as well since we're calling for the murder of people who enjoy something we don't enjoy.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  10. Aug 31, 2005 #9
    how is it 5%? that cant be right. and taxing sports is a good idea, especially ones that pay the players like $100 million a year

11. Aug 31, 2005 #10

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The highest salary in all of professional sports belongs to Alex Rodriguez, but who is making an average of about $25 million a year over the length of a ten-year contract. Athletes make far more off of endorsements than they do off of salary. They are also already in the highest tax-brackets, and since they aren't business owners (generally speaking), they can't shelter their earnings as easily as many other big-time earners. If you don't like it, don't watch their sports and don't buy the products they endorse. Where do you think the money is coming from?

Jesus Christ, where do you people get off? Yeah, let's tax the hell out of and then kill everyone affiliated with NASCAR because we don't see the point of it as a sport.

12. Aug 31, 2005 #11
    I am a race fan, all kinds of races, including NASCAR, Indy, 1/4 mile track and yes even some street racing. I enjoy building cars that go fast, and I work hard{12 hour days} and have the right to spend my time and money how I choose, without idiots thinking I should die for it.
    Racing fule is taxed{ i know, I buy it}, and so is my ticket.

13. Aug 31, 2005 #12
    I also have the right to buy a Hummer and get 5 mi/gallon. Screw the environment because this is the USA. I have the right to do whatever I want.

14. Aug 31, 2005 #13
    I can't think of any country that bans/limits any kind of car.

15. Aug 31, 2005 #14

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The taxation of gasoline in many European countries is so exaggerated that it would be virtually impossible for most people to drive as much there as in the US. Of course, the cities are also smaller and commutes shorter, so there isn't as much of a need to drive.

16. Aug 31, 2005 #15

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Amen, brother.

Gawd, I love freedom and democracy, don't you?

17. Aug 31, 2005 #16

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have a hard time believing the 5% usage number. Given the latest number I saw of the US using 400,000,000 gallons a day, I don't think Jeff Gordon et al are using 20 million gallons a day.

Personally, I would much rather create a huge uproar and increase the luxury taxes on fuels used in recreational boats/yachts. In my neck of the woods, I see people fill up monstorously huge boats with $300 in gas a day just to go out and drive in circles. That doesn't include the other environmental damage they do by polluting the waters. But then again, that's just my opinion.

18. Aug 31, 2005 #17

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by "limits"? The US has pretty strict safety and efficiency standards...

19. Aug 31, 2005 #18
    Are you serious? Why on earth would you want to tax all sports?? Surely you would want to encourage people to take part in sports!! Apart from the obvious health benefits, sports have so many social-skill and character building benefits.

PS

20. Aug 31, 2005 #19
    That was in response to Gravenwoods "right to because I'm American" message. I was referring to size of car and how much gas it burns.

21. Aug 31, 2005 #20

cronxeh

Gold Member

Any 4th year mechanical engineering student could come up with a NASCAR car design - it doesnt take that much of intelligence these days. But to come up with a Toyota Prius that gets 50 mpg actually does, and shows a thing or two about human accomplishments these days.

I dont see how taking out most of NASCAR is a problem in my Ethics books.. let me double check.. nope, still cool with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?