Taylor Expansion for fm+1n+1 - Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter oxxiissiixxo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the conversation is about how to do a Taylor expansion for f_m+1 with a superscript n+1 in a finite differencing problem for a PDE. The person is familiar with expanding f_m+1 with a superscript n and f_m with a superscript n+1, but is unsure how to expand f_m+1 with a superscript n+1. They are seeking clarification on how to approach this.
oxxiissiixxo

Homework Statement

how to do taylor expansion for fm+1n+1; f(t,x) with sub script m+1 and a super script n+1

Homework Equations

I know how to do taylor expansion for fm+1 and fn+1, but not fm+1n+1

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain what you mean by fm+1n+1

I am doing the finite differencing for a pde and I am trying to expand the term f_m+1 with a superscript n+1 around say (f_m with a superscript n) to see whether or not the pde is consistent.
For forward in time, a partial derivative of time (df/dt)will be rewrite as [(f_m with a superscript n+1) - (f_m with a superscript n)]/(delta t)
Similarly, if i want to do forward differencing in space, df/dx can be rewrite as [(f_m+1 with a superscript n) - (f_m with a superscript n)]/(delta x)
I know how to do taylor expansion for (f_m+1 with a superscript n) around (f_m with a superscript n) and taylor expansion for (f_m with a superscript n+1) around (f_m with a superscript n). However, I do not know how to deal with f_m+1 with a superscript n+1. How should i do the taylor expansion. Thank you!

1. What is the Taylor Expansion for fm+1n+1?

The Taylor Expansion for fm+1n+1 is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function using its derivatives at a specific point. It is based on the idea that a function can be represented as an infinite sum of its derivatives at a chosen point.

2. How can I calculate the Taylor Expansion for fm+1n+1?

To calculate the Taylor Expansion for fm+1n+1, you will need to find the derivatives of the function at a given point and plug them into the general form of the expansion. The general form is: f(x) = f(a) + (x - a)f'(a) + (x - a)^2f''(a)/2! + (x - a)^3f'''(a)/3! + ...

3. What are some tips for finding the Taylor Expansion for fm+1n+1?

Some tips for finding the Taylor Expansion for fm+1n+1 include: choosing a point where the function is easy to evaluate, using known derivatives or derivative rules to simplify the calculation, and being aware of the order of the expansion (i.e. how many terms to include).

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the Taylor Expansion for fm+1n+1?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the Taylor Expansion for fm+1n+1 include: forgetting to include all terms up to the desired order, using the incorrect derivatives at the chosen point, and making calculation errors.

5. How is the Taylor Expansion for fm+1n+1 used in science and engineering?

The Taylor Expansion for fm+1n+1 is commonly used in science and engineering to approximate functions and solve problems that involve non-linear equations. It is also used in fields such as physics and chemistry to model physical phenomena and make predictions.