1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tayler expansion

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    how to do taylor expansion for fm+1n+1; f(t,x) with sub script m+1 and a super script n+1

2. Relevant equations
    I know how to do taylor expansion for fm+1 and fn+1, but not fm+1n+1

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2009 #2
    Can you explain what you mean by fm+1n+1

4. Apr 12, 2009 #3
    I am doing the finite differencing for a pde and I am trying to expand the term f_m+1 with a superscript n+1 around say (f_m with a superscript n) to see whether or not the pde is consistent.
    For forward in time, a partial derivative of time (df/dt)will be rewrite as [(f_m with a superscript n+1) - (f_m with a superscript n)]/(delta t)
    Similarly, if i want to do forward differencing in space, df/dx can be rewrite as [(f_m+1 with a superscript n) - (f_m with a superscript n)]/(delta x)
    I know how to do taylor expansion for (f_m+1 with a superscript n) around (f_m with a superscript n) and taylor expansion for (f_m with a superscript n+1) around (f_m with a superscript n). However, I do not know how to deal with f_m+1 with a superscript n+1. How should i do the taylor expansion. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook