1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor and Einstein

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have E(v) = (m*c^2)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2).

I also have a second-order Taylor-polynomial around v = 0, T_2_E, which is mc^2+½mv^2.

I have to use Taylors formula with restterm to show that E is bigger than T_2_E for all v in the interval [0,c).

3. The attempt at a solution

I have written an expression:

E(v) = T_2_E + 1/n! * int [E'''(t)*(v-t)^2] dt,

where n of course is 2, so it's 1/2 infront of my integral.

I am very uncertain whether my expression is correct or not - do I have to use the limits 0 to c, or 0 to v?

Thank you in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The error will depend upon the specific value of v for which the values are calculated- the integral is from 0 to v.
  4. Oct 7, 2007 #3
    I get that E(v) = T_2_E(v) + ½*[E''(t)*(v-t)^2] + [E'(t)*(v-t)] + [E(t)] where the limits are from 0 to v.

From this, I don't see how E(v) >= T_2_E(v)? The "(v-t)"-part will cancel out for t=v?
  5. Oct 7, 2007 #4
    I mean, doesn't the restterm become negative?

I mean: 0-E''(0)*v + 0-E'(0)*v + E(v)-E(0)
  6. Oct 7, 2007 #5
    Sorry guys, but this paper is due in 5 hours. I've been trying for the past 2-3 hours, but I have no more solutions.

First I thougth of just looking at E'''(t) - so I wouldn't have to integrate. Apparently E''''(t) (4 * ') only has complex roots, so no solutions in R. Then it must mean that E'''(t) (3 * ') is growing, so the integral must be positive or 0.

That just doesn't seem like a valid solution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?