1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor approximation

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Taylor approximation

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have an exact funktion given as:

[tex]P(r)=1-e^{\frac{-2r}{a}}(1+\frac{2r}{a}+\frac{2r^2}{a^2})[/tex]

I need to prove, by making a tayler series expansion, that:
    [tex]P(r)\approx \frac{3r^3}{4a^4}[/tex]

When [tex]r \prec \prec a[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am lost when it comes to these Taylor approximations. It should be a fairly easy problem, but dont know how to handle it.
    Some help on how to do this would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general, the Taylor series of a function f(r) around 0 is given by
    [tex]f(r) = \sum_{n = 0}^\infty \frac{1}{n!} f^{(n)}(0) r^n = f(0) + f'(0) r + 1/2 f''(0) r^2 + 1/6 f'''(0) r^3 + 1/24 f''''(0) r^4 + \cdots[/tex]
    where [itex]f^{(n)}[/itex] denotes the nth derivative. Usually, one stops the expansion after a certain number of terms (e.g. [itex]f(r) \approx f(0)[/itex] is the "first order expansion", including the first derivative term gives the "second order expansion", etc.*)

So basically, all you need to do for this problem is construct the Taylor series (you'll need to calculate the derivatives) and terminate it at a proper point. Or alternatively, if you know the expansion of the exponential, you can plug it in, expand the brackets, and again terminate it somewhere (that is, neglect all powers [itex]r^n, r^{n+1}, r^{n+2}[/itex], etc. for an nth order expansion).

*) I also see people calling f(0) the zero'th order expansion, f'(0) r the first order, etc. Sometimes that is confusing but so be it

4. Mar 31, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply

By expanding the exponential to fourth order I was able to find the desired result

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?