1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor Approximation

1. Mar 29, 2014 #1

Nugso

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that [tex]∫f'(x)dx/f(x) = ln|(f(x)|+C[/tex] where f(x) is a differential function.

2. Relevant equations

First order Taylor approximation? [tex]f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I'm not really sure how to approach the question. It's my Numerical Methods homework, so I think I have to do it by using Taylor approximation. By applying the first order Taylor approximation I get:

[tex]ln|f(x)|=y, ln|f(a)| - ln|(f(x)| = (a-x)f'(x)/f(x)[/tex]

[tex]ln|(f(a)/f(x)| = (a-x)f'(x)/f(x)[/tex]

I'm kind of stuck here. Am I right in thinking that Taylor approximation is an appropriate way to approach the question?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start again: you are on the wrong track.

4. Mar 29, 2014 #3

Nugso

Gold Member

Hi Ray, thanks for the reply. Would you mind giving me a hint? I really haven't a clue about the right track.

5. Mar 29, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why not take the derivative of the right-hand side?

6. Mar 29, 2014 #5

Nugso

Gold Member

I guess my teacher wants us to solve it by the difficult way, i.e using appropriate ways.

7. Mar 29, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is nothing wrong with using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to solve the problem. To verify that ##\int f(x) \, dx = F(x) + C##, just check that ##F'(x) = f(x)##.

That is an absolutely 100% correct way to do the question. In fact, such checking should always be done out of habit, whenever you are faced with a possible formula for the indefinite integral F(x) of an integrand f(x). That is a good way to catch errors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted