Proving c_{n} = 0 Using Taylor Expansion: Homework Help

In summary: Hint: induction on n).In summary, we can use the Taylor expansion of f(x) to show that if the series representation of f(x) is equal to 0 for all x, then all of its coefficients (c_n) must be equal to 0. This can be proven by differentiating the series term-by-term and using the transitivity of equality. Additionally, we can prove that f(x) is equal to 0 for all x by showing that its derivatives are also equal to 0 for all x.
V150

Homework Statement

Suppose that [itex]f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_{n}x^{n}[/itex]for all x.
If [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_{n}x^{n} = 0[/itex], show that [itex]c_{n} = 0[/itex] for all n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know, by using taylor expansion, [itex]c_{n}=\frac{f^{n}(0)}{n!}[/itex], and because [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_{n}x^{n}[/itex] is zero, [itex]c_{n}[/itex] have to be zero. But, I don't know how to write more logical proof to this.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is the right idea. Instead of "using the Taylor expansion", you can just differentiate n times.

##\frac{d^n}{dx^n} f(0) = 0##, and if you differentiate the series term-by-term that gives ##c_n = 0##.

To make that idea into a rigorous proof, you have to say why it is valid to differentiate the series term by term. (Hint: convergence).

@AlephZero
What I want to know is why [itex]c_n = 0[/itex] have to be zero if [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_{n}x^{n} = 0
[/itex], not 'IF' [itex] c_n=0 [/itex]. Would you make this more concrete, please?

[itex]\frac{d}{dx} f(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} nc_nx^{n-1}[/itex]
Then let x=0 to get:
[itex]0=c_1+\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} nc_n 0^{n-1}[/itex]

Can you generalize this?

hmmm. How can I use that to prove [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_{n}x^{n}=0[/itex],then [itex]c_{n}=0[/itex] when x is all real numbers?

Last edited:
Hint: Use the transitivity of equality. If a=b and b=c then a=c.

What does the above say about ##f(x)## given that ##f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n x^n## and that ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n x^n = 0## for all x?

V150 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that [itex]f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_{n}x^{n}[/itex]for all x.
If [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_{n}x^{n} = 0[/itex], show that [itex]c_{n} = 0[/itex] for all n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know, by using taylor expansion, [itex]c_{n}=\frac{f^{n}(0)}{n!}[/itex], and because [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_{n}x^{n}[/itex] is zero, [itex]c_{n}[/itex] have to be zero. But, I don't know how to write more logical proof to this.

The result is false as you have stated it: ##\sin(x) = x - x^3/3! + x^5/5! - \ldots## is equal to 0 for ##x = \pm \pi, \pm 2\pi, \ldots## but its coefficients are not all zero. Did you mean "=0 for all x..."?

He had to have meant "for all x". Otherwise it's patently false.

Yes, for all x with the radius of convergence R>0.

So the question would be, "why [itex]c_{n}[/itex] is 0 for all n when [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_{n}x^{n}=0[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex] with the radius of convergence R>0?

You have asked that question four times now. Have you given any thought to the responses you have been given? If [itex]f(x)= \sum c_nx^n[/itex], what is f(0)? what is f'(0)? f''(0)?

Oh, oh. I finally got it. [itex]f'(x)[/itex] is zero because [itex]f(x) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f'(x)[/itex] is like differentiating zero, right?

Exactly. You never went from ##f(x)=\sum_n c_n x^n## and ##\sum_n c_n x^n=0## to ##f(x)=0## until just now. Once you have ##f(x)=0## for all x, it's a simple matter to show that ##f^{(n)}(x) = 0## for all x and for all n.

You should of course prove that ##f^{(n)}(x) = 0## for all x and for all n.

1. What is a Taylor expansion?

A Taylor expansion is a mathematical method used to approximate a function by representing it as an infinite sum of terms. It is named after the English mathematician Brook Taylor.

2. Why is Taylor expansion important?

Taylor expansion is important because it allows us to approximate complex functions with simpler ones, making them easier to study and analyze. It is also used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do I perform a Taylor expansion?

To perform a Taylor expansion, you need to have a function and a point around which you want to approximate the function. Then, you use the Taylor series formula to calculate the coefficients of the terms in the expansion.

4. What is the purpose of using a Taylor expansion?

The purpose of using a Taylor expansion is to simplify a function and make it easier to work with. It can also help us understand the behavior of a function near a specific point and make predictions about its values.

5. Can Taylor expansion be used for any function?

No, Taylor expansion can only be used for functions that are infinitely differentiable, meaning that they have derivatives of all orders. If a function is not infinitely differentiable, Taylor expansion cannot be performed.