1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor expansion of ODE?

1. Apr 7, 2014 #1
    I'm confused by problem 2.31 in mathematical tools for physics.

Problem:
    2.31 The Doppler effect for sound with a moving source and for a moving observer have different formulas. The Doppler
    effect for light, including relativistic effects is different still. Show that for low speeds they are all about the same.

[itex]f' = f \frac{v - v_0}{v}[/itex], [itex]f' = f \frac{v}{v+v_s}[/itex], [itex]f' = f \sqrt{\frac{1-v/c}{1+v/c}}[/itex]

The symbols have various meanings: v is the speed of sound in the first two, with the other terms being the velocity
    of the observer and the velocity of the source. In the third equation c is the speed of light and v is the velocity of the
    observer. And no, 1 = 1 isn't good enough; you should get these at least to first order in the speed.

Solution:
    From the selected solutions:
    [itex]f' = f(1-v_0/v)[/itex], [itex]f' = f(1-v_s/v)[/itex], [itex]f'=f(1-v/c)[/itex]

Question:
    Clearly I'm supposed to do a tailor expansion of something, but I'm unsure of which part of the original differential equation I'm supposed to expand. Also, whichever part I do expand I end up with a different result than the given solution, which makes me think I'm interpreting the equation wrong. My interpretation is:
    [itex] f'(x) = \frac{v - v_0}{v} f(x)[/itex]

Thanks for any help clearing this up.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2014 #2
    Yes, a Taylor expansion is the way to go. These are not differential equations though. The primes merely denote frequencies in different reference frames.

4. Apr 7, 2014 #3
    Thanks Jilang, that cleared things up for me. I suppose this is a difference between a "Math for Physics" text and a pure mathematics one.

I'm new to the forum, is there a standard for marking questions and posts as [solved] ?

5. Apr 7, 2014 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello tssuser. Welcome to PF !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted