1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor expansion problem 5.6.9 in Math Methods for Physicists, 6th ed Arfken & Weber

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    With n>1, show that (a) [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex]-ln[tex]\frac{n}{n-1}[/tex]<0
    and (b) [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex]-ln[tex]\frac{n+1}{n}[/tex]>0

Use these inequalities to show that the Euler-Mascheron constant (eq. 5.28 - page330) is finite.

2. Relevant equations
    This is in the chapter on infinite series, in the section on Taylor Expansion, so I guess Taylor, Maclaurin, and Binomial theorem are fair game.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first wrote the logarithm as a difference of logs and then tried to expand them in the Maclaurin series. But that apparently doesn't work since ln(0) and 1/0 are undefined...

I also don't understand the statement at the end. Is that supposed to be a hint or a third part to the problem?

Any help would be great, thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Re: Taylor expansion problem 5.6.9 in Math Methods for Physicists, 6th ed Arfken & We

For the first two part change the log to log(1+x) so that we want to show
    x/(1+x)<log(1+x)<x
    for |x|<1
    this can be done by using an integral or series representation for log
    The third bit is indeed a part of the problem and not a hint, infact one could say the first two parts are a hint for the third
    The constant in question is
    lim_{n->infinity} [1/1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n-log(n)]
    use the given inequalities to bound the constant

4. Dec 4, 2008 #3
    Re: Taylor expansion problem 5.6.9 in Math Methods for Physicists, 6th ed Arfken & We

I'm not exactly sure how to go about changing the log to log(1+x). Do you mean to factor an x out of the demoninator for the first one and then have log(1-1/x), and for the second one log(1+1/x)?

5. Dec 4, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think he means let x= n/(n-1) so that ln(n/(n-1)) becomes just ln x. Of course, then x(n-1)= xn- x= n so n(x-1)= x and n= x/x-1 so that 1/n= (x-1)/x= 1- 1/x. Then your inequality 1/n- ln(n/(n-1))<0 becomes 1- 1/x- ln(x)< 0.

6. Dec 4, 2008 #5

Ok, but I'm not seeing how the two approaches are connected since lurflurf said to change the logarithm to ln(1+x).

7. Dec 4, 2008 #6

lurflurf

Homework Helper

find that log(1+x)~x (x~0)is a simple form to work with
    log(x)~-1+x (x~1) amounts to the same thing, matter of taste

we have
    1/n-log(n/(n-1))
    and
    1/n-log((n+1)/n)

n/(n-1)=1+1/(n-1)
    let
    x=1/(n-1)
    n/(n-1)=1+1/(n-1)->1+x
    1/n=1/(n-1+1)=[1/(n-1)]/[1+1/(n-1)]->x/(1+x)
    1/n-log(n/(n-1))->x/(1+x)-log(1+x)

(n+1)/n=1+1/n
    let x=1/n
    (n+1)/n=1+1/n->1+x
    1/n-log((n+1)/n)->x-log(1+x)

we desire to show
    x-log(1+x)>0
    and
    x/(1+x)-log(1+x)<0
    or
    x/(1+x)<log(1+x)<x
    |x|<1
    This is easily done by any number of methods including using series
    log(1+x)=x-x/2+x^3/3-x^4/4+...
    or integrals
    log(1+x)=int(1/(1+t),t,0,x)

once the hint inequalitites are verified use them to bound the constant

8. Dec 5, 2008 #7

Ok, that helps a lot. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?