1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor expansion, thermodynamics

1. May 25, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm asked to show that the relation ##S(U+\Delta U, V+ \Delta V , n )+S(U-\Delta U, V- \Delta V , n ) \leq 2 S(U,V,n)## implies that ##\frac{\partial ^2 S}{\partial U ^2 } \frac{\partial ^2 S}{\partial V ^2}- \left ( \frac{\partial ^2 S }{\partial U \partial V} \right ) \geq 0##.

2. Relevant equations
    Taylor expansion of a function of several variables: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series#Taylor_series_in_several_variables

3. The attempt at a solution
    The book gives some help, it says to first make a Taylor expansion of the left side to the second order in ##\Delta U## and ##\Delta V##. So I should reach the equation ##S_{UU}(\Delta U)^2+2S_{UV}\Delta U \Delta V + S_{VV} (\Delta V)^2 \leq 0##, then I'd have to rewrite this expression and I should reach the answer.
    However I'm having a problem at understanding what the book means by "in ##\Delta U## and ##\Delta V##". Does it means I should expand S and U around the point ##(\Delta U , \Delta V, n)##?
    Or...

Edit: I've expanded S around the point (U,V,n) which seemed to make sense to me, but then I don't reach what I should. Instead I reach ##-S+\Delta U S_U + \Delta V S_V + \frac{1}{2} \left [ (\Delta U)^2 S_{UU} + 2 \Delta U \Delta V S_{UV} + (\Delta V )^2 S_{VV} \right ] \leq 0## where the functions are evaluated in ##(U,V,n)##.

Edit2: NEVERMIND!!!! I forgot a term to make the Taylor expansion. I didn't do it yet but at first glance this is the right thing to do, i.e. making the expansion around (U,V,n)!
    Edit3: problem solved, I've reached the final result!!!

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?