1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor expansion

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi

Say I want to Taylor-expand
    [tex]
    f(\omega + m\sin(\Omega t))
    [/tex]
    where ω and Ω are frequencies, m is some constant and t denotes time. Then I would get
    [tex]
    f(\omega + m\sin(\Omega t)) = f(\omega) + (m\sin(\Omega t)\frac{dI}{d\omega} + \ldots
    [/tex]
    Is it necessary to make any assumptions on the sizes of m and Ω in order to make the above expansion?

Best,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are Taylor expanding in the quantity you are adding to ω and I means f(ω) that's fine. If you are going to truncate the expansion there and wondering if it's a accurate expansion that's going to depend on the size of the quantity you are adding to ω and the behaviour of f''(ω). You'll want to look at Taylor series remainder terms if you are concerned about how good it is.

4. Apr 6, 2012 #3
    Thanks!

Best,
    Niles.

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4
  6. Apr 15, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure it is. It's 'around' ω. I say the expansion is 'in' msin(Ωt) because that's the thing that appears in all the powers. Just terminology.

7. Apr 15, 2012 #6
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Best,
    Niles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook