Taylor Expansion: A Guide to Understanding the Chain Rule

In summary: So the equation should actually be ##\frac{d}{dt}x(t) = \Delta x \cdot \frac{1}{\Delta t} = \Delta x##. The author probably meant to write ##\Delta x = \frac{d}{dt}x(t) \cdot \Delta t##, which is the correct form of the formula. In summary, the formula shown in the original post is incorrect and should be written as ##\Delta x = \frac{d}{dt}x(t) \cdot \Delta t##, as stated in the linked pdf file.
TimeRip496
upload_2015-12-20_16-36-58.png
I don't understand this as isn't according to chain rule,
upload_2015-12-20_16-38-25.png
So where is the
upload_2015-12-20_16-38-56.png
in the above derivative of F(t)?
Source: http://www.math.ubc.ca/~feldman/m226/taylor2d.pdf

Mathematics news on Phys.org
##F(t) = f(x(t),y(t))##, so despite written to be a function of ##t##, the functional form of ##F(t)## is not written explicitly as a function of ##t##.

blue_leaf77 said:
##F(t) = f(x(t),y(t))##, so despite written to be a function of ##t##, the functional form of ##F(t)## is not written explicitly as a function of ##t##.
Why is it not a function of t? I am still new to this so do you have something i can read on about this?
Besides thanks for your response!

TimeRip496 said:
Why is it not a function of t?
It's not an explicit function of ##t##. When you want to do chain rule, you have to pay attention on which variables are written explicitly, despite whether or not these variables are functions of yet another variable. For example take ##F(t) = xy^2## where ##x = \sqrt{t}## and ##y=t-2##. If you want to calculate ##dF/dt##, you can either first express ##x## and ##y## in terms of ##t## and then differentiate w.r.t. ##t## or let ##F## be expressed in ##x## and ##y## then use the chain rule
$$
\frac{dF}{dt} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dt} .
$$
Both answers should be identical.
TimeRip496 said:
do you have something i can read on about this?
I guess this problem should belong to multivariate calculus.

Likes TimeRip496
blue_leaf77 said:
It's not an explicit function of ##t##. When you want to do chain rule, you have to pay attention on which variables are written explicitly, despite whether or not these variables are functions of yet another variable. For example take ##F(t) = xy^2## where ##x = \sqrt{t}## and ##y=t-2##. If you want to calculate ##dF/dt##, you can either first express ##x## and ##y## in terms of ##t## and then differentiate w.r.t. ##t## or let ##F## be expressed in ##x## and ##y## then use the chain rule
$$
\frac{dF}{dt} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dt} .
$$
Both answers should be identical.

I guess this problem should belong to multivariate calculus.
Thanks a lot! I now understand.

I do not agree with the formula shown in the OP (dimensional analysis again). The picture states that [itex]\frac{d}{dt}x(t) = \Delta x [/itex] which is obviously wrong. If x is distance and t is time, it tries to assert that velocity equals a (short) distance. The correct statement is [itex]\frac{d}{dt}x(t) \cdot \Delta t= \Delta x [/itex].
I can agree with the second line, but the third line is pure nonsense.

Svein said:
I do not agree with the formula shown in the OP (dimensional analysis again). The picture states that [itex]\frac{d}{dt}x(t) = \Delta x [/itex] which is obviously wrong. If x is distance and t is time, it tries to assert that velocity equals a (short) distance. The correct statement is [itex]\frac{d}{dt}x(t) \cdot \Delta t= \Delta x [/itex].
I can agree with the second line, but the third line is pure nonsense.
In the linked pdf file, the author for some reason sets ##\Delta t = 1##.

1. What is the Taylor expansion of a function?

The Taylor expansion of a function is a mathematical representation of the function in terms of its derivatives at a specific point. It is an infinite series that allows us to approximate the value of a function at a given point.

2. How is the Taylor expansion related to the chain rule?

The chain rule is a fundamental rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. The Taylor expansion involves taking derivatives of a function at a specific point, which is similar to the process involved in using the chain rule.

3. Why is the chain rule important in Taylor expansion?

The chain rule is important in Taylor expansion because it allows us to calculate the derivatives of composite functions, which is a key step in finding the coefficients of the Taylor series. Without the chain rule, we would not be able to accurately represent a function using its derivatives.

4. What is the purpose of using Taylor expansion?

The purpose of using Taylor expansion is to approximate the value of a function at a given point. This can be useful in situations where the function is difficult to evaluate directly or when we need a more accurate approximation than what is provided by other methods.

5. How is the error in Taylor expansion calculated?

The error in Taylor expansion is calculated using the remainder term, which takes into account the difference between the actual value of the function and the value obtained using the Taylor series. This error term becomes smaller as we use more terms in the Taylor series, allowing for a more accurate approximation of the function.