Taylor Expansion: Computing x^2 + x^4/12

In summary, WolframAlpha says that the taylor expansion of $$\frac{x^4 e^x}{(e^x-1)^2}$$ for ##x<<1##, is$$ x^2+\frac{x^4}{12}.$$
robinegberts
Hello friends,

I need to compute the taylor expansion of

$$\frac{x^4 e^x}{(e^x-1)^2}, $$
for ##x<<1##, to find

$$ x^2 + \frac{x^4}{12}.$$

Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does your textbook say about Taylor expansions? Did you follow its steps, where did you run into problems?

I don't know if it is actual homework, but I think it fits better to our homework section.

Yes, thank you mfb.

I tried:

$$x^4 \frac{1+x+O(x^2)}{(x+O(x^2))^2} = x^2 + x^3,$$
which is clearly not the way to go. My main question is how to deal with that the expansion of ## e^x-1 ## will be squared and how that influences my choice of developing up till certain order terms. Can this even be done using standard series?

You'll need more terms in the expansion of the denominator.

Or calculate the derivatives, that takes more time but is less error-prone.

One thing I noticed is that if we write out the denominator we get

(ex-1)2 = e2x - 2ex + 1.

If we expand each exponential term to just first order in x, we get: 1 + 2x - 2 - 2x + 1 which = 0, whereas doing it as above you got x2.

robinegberts said:
Yes, thank you mfb.

I tried:

$$x^4 \frac{1+x+O(x^2)}{(x+O(x^2))^2} = x^2 + x^3,$$
which is clearly not the way to go. My main question is how to deal with that the expansion of ## e^x-1 ## will be squared and how that influences my choice of developing up till certain order terms. Can this even be done using standard series?

That IS the way to go, but first you need to use the correct expansions for ##e^x##, and you should keep 3 or 4 terms in the numerator and the enominator, just to be absolutely sure you have not neglected something important. Then, of course, you expand the denominator as
[tex] (1+Y)^{-2} = 1 - 2Y + [(-2)(-3)/2!]Y^2 +[(-2)(-3)(-4)/3!] Y^3 + \cdots, [/tex]
where ##1+Y## is what you have left after expanding ##e^x - 1## and taking out the factor ##x##.

pixel said:

(ex-1)2 = e2x - 2ex + 1.

If we expand each exponential term to just first order in x, we get: 1 + 2x - 2 - 2x + 1 which = 0, whereas doing it as above you got x2.
That is fine, as the expansion does indeed start with 0 + 0x, you just missed the first nonzero term in your expansion.

To get three terms in the final expansion, we need three nonzero terms in the denominator, which means everything up to x4.

Clever Ray! Let's see whether I am getting it.

$$x^4 \frac{1+x+x^2/2}{(x+x^2/2+x^3/6)^2} = x^2 (1+x+x^2/2) (1+x/2+x^2/6)^{-2} = x^2 (1+x+x^2/2) (1-2(x/2+x^2/6)) = x^2 (1+x+x^2/2) (1-x-x^2/3) = (x^2+x^3+x^4/2)(1-x-x^2/3)=x^2-x^3-x^4/3+x^3-x^4+x^4/2=x^2-10/12 x^4. $$

Nearly there, did I miss something?

You'll need one more order for the (1+c)-2 expansion: it adds x2 terms, which then lead to x4 terms in the final result.

WolframAlpha gets -1/12 as prefactor for x4.

$$f(x) = \frac{x^4 e^x}{(e^x-1)^2}$$ can be written in a form easier to expand.
Divide numerator and denominator with ex.
$$f(x) = \frac{x^4 }{(e^{x/2}-e^{-x/2})^2}=\frac{ x^4 }{4 \sinh^2(x/2)}$$
Using that ##\sinh^2(x/2)=\frac{\cosh(x)-1}{2}##, $$f(x)=\frac{x^4}{2(\cosh(x)-1)}$$.
It is very easy to expand the cosh(x)-1 function. cosh(x)'=sinh(x), and sinh(x)' = cosh(x). Expand to the fourth power in x. It is two terms only as cosh is an even function.

Likes SammyS
Thanks for the help mfb!I give up... I am studying for a thermal physics test, and this really does not contribute to my understanding anymore. ;-)

Ok, so that yields me

$$f(x) = \frac{x^4}{x^2+x^4/12},$$ now what? ;-)

Just one step away:$$f(x) = \frac{x^4}{x^2+x^4/12} = x^2(1+x^2/12)^{-1} \approx x^2(1-x^2/12)$$

Ah, I understand. Wish I had more practise with these expansion. Thanks for the help all!

pixel said:

(ex-1)2 = e2x - 2ex + 1.

Start with ##\displaystyle \ \frac{x^4 e^x}{(e^x-1)^2}=\frac{x^4 }{e^{-x}(e^x-1)^2} \ .##

Then using pixel's expansion we have ##\displaystyle\frac{x^4 }{e^{-x}(e^{2x}-2e^x+1)} \ .##

.And multiplying through by e−x we have ##\displaystyle\frac{x^4 }{(e^{x}-2+e^{-x})} \ ,##

which easily leads to ehild's result if that's where you would like to go.

However, using the well known series for ex gives the following quite directly.

##\displaystyle\frac{x^4 }{\displaystyle 2\left(\frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^4}{4!} + \frac{x^6}{6!}+\dots \right)} \ ,##​
Use as many terms as necessary.

Likes ehild and mfb

1. What is a Taylor Expansion?

A Taylor Expansion is a mathematical tool used to approximate a function with a polynomial. It is named after the mathematician Brook Taylor and is based on the idea that any function can be represented as an infinite sum of powers of x.

2. How is a Taylor Expansion computed?

To compute a Taylor Expansion, you need to know the function you want to approximate and the point at which you want to expand the function. The expansion formula involves taking derivatives of the function at that point and plugging them into the expansion. The more terms you include in the expansion, the more accurate the approximation will be.

3. What is the purpose of computing x^2 + x^4/12 using a Taylor Expansion?

The purpose of computing x^2 + x^4/12 using a Taylor Expansion is to approximate this function at a specific point, usually for the purpose of simplifying calculations or solving a problem that involves this function. It can also help visualize the behavior of the function near that point.

4. What is the benefit of using a Taylor Expansion instead of the original function?

Using a Taylor Expansion instead of the original function can be beneficial because it allows for easier calculations and can provide a more accurate approximation of the function at a specific point. It also allows for the function to be manipulated and analyzed in different ways.

5. Can a Taylor Expansion be used for any function?

Technically, yes, a Taylor Expansion can be used for any function. However, the accuracy of the approximation may vary depending on the function and the point at which it is being expanded. Some functions may require a larger number of terms in the expansion to achieve a desired level of accuracy.