Finding Taylor Polynomial for f(x) = (1+x)^{2/3}

In summary, the Taylor polynomial T_2(x) of f(x) = (1+x)^{2/3} expanded about a=0 is 1 + (2/3)x - (1/9)x^{2}. To find the Lagrange remainder for the error term, we use the formula f^{n+1}(p) * (x-a)^{n+1} / (n+1)! where p is between (a,x). In this case, n=2 and a=0, so we plug these values in and find the 3rd derivative of f(x). We don't know the exact value of p, but since it's between (0,x), we can use this to estimate
1. Let f(x) = (1+x)^{2/3}

(a) find the taylor polynomial T_2(x) of f expanded about a = 0.

i got 1 + (1/3)x - (1/9)x^{2}

For the rest, i have no idea how to do...any help would be greatly appreciated.

(b) For the givven f write the lagrange remainder formula for the error term f(x) - T_2(x).

(c) Show that when x>0 the error f(x)-T_2(x) is at most (5/18)x^{3}. and

(d) Write a fraction that estimates (1.2)^{1/3}, and show that the error in your estimate is at most 1/2025.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get for f'(x) and f''(x)? Your polynomial is a bit off.

Do you know what the Lagrange remainder is? If not look it up and post again with what about it is troubling you.

sorry, T_2(x) is suppose to be 1 + (2/3)x - (1/9)x^{2}

i believe the lagrange remainder is: f^{n+1}(p) * (x-a)^{n+1}
-----------
(n+1)!

where p is between (a,n).
The problem is, i don't know how to find the last term in the sequence or the error (which i believe is also called the lagrange remainder, right?) thanks for your reply!

sorry, the lagrange remainder is suppose to be

f^{n+1}(p) * (x-a)^{n+1}
-----------
(n+1)!

The remainder term you have gives f(x)-T_n(x), the difference between f and it's taylor polynomial of degree n, also known as the error between the Taylor polynomial and the function it's trying to approximate. In your case n=2 and a=0, so you just put these values into the remainder formula you have and work out the 2+1=3rd derivative of your function.

The p point comes from the mean-value theorem and you don't actually know what it is, just the interval it's on. You said it's on (a,n), did you mean (a,x), for x>a? You can use this to give an upper bound for the error when x>0 by noticing that the third derivative of this function is bounded here.

1. What is a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor polynomial is a polynomial function that approximates a given function at a specific point. It is created using derivatives of the function at that point, and the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms in the polynomial.

2. How do I find the Taylor polynomial for a given function?

To find the Taylor polynomial for a given function, you need to first choose a point around which you want to approximate the function. Then, you can use the formula for the Taylor polynomial, which involves taking derivatives of the function at that point and plugging them into the formula.

3. What is the significance of the (1+x)^{2/3} in the given function?

The (1+x)^{2/3} in the given function indicates that it is a power function with a fractional exponent. This means that the function approaches zero as x approaches negative infinity, and it increases rapidly as x approaches positive infinity.

4. How many terms should I include in the Taylor polynomial to get an accurate approximation?

The number of terms needed in the Taylor polynomial depends on the desired level of accuracy. Generally, the more terms included, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, including too many terms can result in a more complex polynomial and may not be necessary for the level of accuracy needed.

5. Can a Taylor polynomial be used to approximate any function?

No, a Taylor polynomial can only approximate a function if the function is infinitely differentiable at the chosen point. If the function is not infinitely differentiable, the Taylor polynomial will not be a good approximation.