1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor formula

1. Nov 26, 2004 #1
    1. Let f(x) = (1+x)^{2/3}

(a) find the taylor polynomial T_2(x) of f expanded about a = 0.

i got 1 + (1/3)x - (1/9)x^{2}

For the rest, i have no idea how to do...any help would be greatly appreciated.

(b) For the givven f write the lagrange remainder formula for the error term f(x) - T_2(x).

(c) Show that when x>0 the error f(x)-T_2(x) is at most (5/18)x^{3}. and

(d) Write a fraction that estimates (1.2)^{1/3}, and show that the error in your estimate is at most 1/2025.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2004 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What did you get for f'(x) and f''(x)? Your polynomial is a bit off.

Do you know what the Lagrange remainder is? If not look it up and post again with what about it is troubling you.

4. Nov 27, 2004 #3
    sorry, T_2(x) is suppose to be 1 + (2/3)x - (1/9)x^{2}

i believe the lagrange remainder is: f^{n+1}(p) * (x-a)^{n+1}
    -----------
    (n+1)!

where p is between (a,n).
    The problem is, i don't know how to find the last term in the sequence or the error (which i believe is also called the lagrange remainder, right?) thanks for your reply!

5. Nov 27, 2004 #4
    sorry, the lagrange remainder is suppose to be

f^{n+1}(p) * (x-a)^{n+1}
    -----------
    (n+1)!

6. Nov 27, 2004 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The remainder term you have gives f(x)-T_n(x), the difference between f and it's taylor polynomial of degree n, also known as the error between the Taylor polynomial and the function it's trying to approximate. In your case n=2 and a=0, so you just put these values in to the remainder formula you have and work out the 2+1=3rd derivative of your function.

The p point comes from the mean-value theorem and you don't actually know what it is, just the interval it's on. You said it's on (a,n), did you mean (a,x), for x>a? You can use this to give an upper bound for the error when x>0 by noticing that the third derivative of this function is bounded here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?