1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor/MacLaurin polynomials

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a Taylor or Maclaurin polynomial to apporximate ln(1.75) using 6 terms.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I now that a MacLaurin polynomial is as follows.. c=0

)+f%27(c)x+\frac{f%27%27(c)}{2!}x^{2}+\frac{f%27%27%27(c)}{3!}x^{3}+...+\frac{f^{n}(c)}{n!}x^{n}.gif

and a Talyor polynomial is as follows..
    frac{f%27%27(c)}{2!}(x-c)^{2}+\frac{f%27%27%27(c)}{3!}(x-c)^{3}+...+\frac{f^{n}(c)}{n!}(x-c)^{n}.gif

so do I assume I'm working with ln(x)? I'm not really sure where to go with a value.. I have worked with questions such as.. estimate the sin(x) with a 5th degree taylor polynomial.. but this is a little bit different, maybe someone can push me in the right direction!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    You can expand around a point where the function is sufficently often differentiable. So, you cannot expand around the point x = 0 (i.e. take c = 0, as Log(x) is undefined there and certainly not differentiable at that point), but you can expand around x = 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook