Taylor Polynomial Problem: What is f´(1)?

• Thread starter eipiplusone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Taylor
In summary, the problem is asking for the value of f'(1) and is not specific about what form that f'(1) takes. However, if you expand the function in terms of a polynomial in x, you'll see that it becomes an equation with only three unknowns and that you can easily read off the value of f'(1).
eipiplusone
Hi,

I would really appreciate it if someone can help me with the following problem, regarding a taylor polynomial:

A 2nd degree taylor polynomial to the function f around x = 1, is given by:

T_2(x) = x + x^2

Question:
What is f´(1) ?

Answer: 3

(Btw: the question is from a multiple choice test, but the answer should be evident without consulting the possible answers)

Homework Equations

I usually solve this kind of problem simply by considering the general form of a taylorpolynomial:

f(a) + f´(a)(x-a) + (f´´(a)/2!) * (x-a)^2

and comparing it to the taylor polynomial given in the problem statement. From a little rearrangement, the answer is usually self-evident. But in this case the rearranging seems very elaborate, so I am hoping that I am missing some clever way to solve it.

The Attempt at a Solution

In this case I really don't know how go about it. I´ve only managed to simply make sense of the answer, by the following argument:

f(1) + f´(1)(x-1) + f´´(1)(x-1)]^2 = x + x^2 ⇔

f(1) + f´(1)x - f´(1) + f´´(1)(x^2 + 1 - 2x) = x + x^2 ⇔

f(1) + f´(1)x - f´(1) + f´´(1)x^2 + f´´(1) - f´´(1)2x = x + x^2

Inserting f´(1) = 3 evaluates to x + x^2 , if f´´(1) = 2 and f(1) = 2 .
But there´s no way that I would have seen that, not knowing that f´(1) = 3 .

There must be some nice way of solving this problem?

Any help would be truly appreciated..!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should just expand your Taylor polynom in powers of [itex]x[/itex] and then compare the coefficients on both sides, which leads to a linear system of equations for f(1), f'(1), and f"(1).

The "second degree Taylor polyomial" of f, about x= 1, is, by definition, [itex]f(1)+ f'(1)(x- 1)+ (f''(1)/2)(x- 1)^2[/itex]. You are told that the second order Taylor polynomial for this function is [itex]x+ x^2[/itex].

I think Vanhees71 meant to say "expand your polynomial in powers of x-1". That is, find a, b, and c so that [itex]a(x- 1)^2+ b(x- 1)+ c= x+ x^2[/itex]. Then you can just "read off" the value of f'(1).

Hi,
I know that I need to find the coefficients, but not how to do it. It becomes an equation with three unknowns? How do i read off the value?

I know how to solve this type of problem typically. When the derivative in question is simply the coefficient to x^n times the nth factorial. But that's hard do in this problem, i think.

Thanks..!

eipeplusone - as Hallsofivy mentioned - expand his equation on the left hand side in terms of a polynomial in x making sure you multiply a,b, and c through. Now collect terms of a, b, and c into coefficients to this polynomial. Equate those coefficients on left to like powers of known coefficients on right (start with highest term). You'll see an easy solution to yield a, b, and c. From there, you can compute f(1), f'(1) and f''(1)

Great, I understand it now. Thanks a lot!

1. What is a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor polynomial is a mathematical approximation of a function using a finite number of terms from its Taylor series. It is used to approximate the function at a specific point, and the more terms included in the polynomial, the more accurate the approximation will be.

2. How is a Taylor polynomial calculated?

A Taylor polynomial is calculated using the derivatives of the given function at a specific point. The general formula for a Taylor polynomial is: f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + (f''(a)/2!)(x-a)^2 + (f'''(a)/3!)(x-a)^3 + ... + (f^n(a)/n!)(x-a)^nwhere a is the specific point and n is the highest derivative used in the polynomial.

3. What is the purpose of using a Taylor polynomial?

The purpose of a Taylor polynomial is to approximate a function at a specific point with a finite number of terms. This allows for easier computation and analysis of the function without needing to use the entire Taylor series, which may be infinite.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor polynomial and a Taylor series?

A Taylor polynomial is a finite series of terms used to approximate a function at a specific point, while a Taylor series is an infinite series of terms that represents the function at all points. A Taylor series can be used to find the Taylor polynomial at any point by truncating the series at a specific term.

5. Can a Taylor polynomial accurately represent a function?

A Taylor polynomial can accurately represent a function at a specific point, but the accuracy decreases as the distance from the point increases. This is due to the fact that the polynomial is only an approximation and cannot capture all the information about the function at all points.