Finding Quadratic Approximation of ln(1.25) with Taylor Polynomial P2

In summary, to find a quadratic approximation to ln(1.25) to 4 decimal places, we can use the function f(x,y)=ln(x^2+y^2) and the point (1,0). The calculated P2 is y^2-x^2+4x-3, but to get 4 decimal place accuracy, values of x and y that satisfy x^2+y^2=1.25 must be used. (1.1, 0.2) would provide better accuracy, but still not 4 decimal places.
forty
Using P2(x,y), find a quadratic approximation to ln(1.25) to 4 decimal places.

The original function is f(x,y)=ln(x2 + y2) and is about the point (1,0).

I calculated P2 to be y2-x2+4x-3

however I don't know how to find a quadratic approximation. Do I just set say x=1 and y=.5?

Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats not exactly it, but on the right track. Just any values of x and y that make x^2 + y^2 = 1.25. (1, 0.5) would work, but would not give you 4dp accuracy. Something like (1.1, 0.2) would work somewhat better, but still nowhere near 4dp accuracy.

EDIT: I don't know how they expect you to get 4dp accuracy, seeing as even x^2=1.25 and y=0 gives only 2dp accuracy. Sorry

1. What is a quadratic approximation?

A quadratic approximation is a mathematical technique used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point using a polynomial of degree 2. It is a useful tool for estimating values of functions that may be difficult to evaluate directly.

2. What is the Taylor polynomial for ln(1.25) with degree 2?

The Taylor polynomial for ln(1.25) with degree 2 is P2(x) = ln(1) + (x-1)(1) + (x-1)^2/2. This can be simplified to P2(x) = x - (x-1)^2/2.

3. What is the value of ln(1.25) using the quadratic approximation?

The value of ln(1.25) using the quadratic approximation is approximately 0.22314355. This is a close approximation to the actual value of ln(1.25), which is approximately 0.22314355.

4. How accurate is the quadratic approximation for ln(1.25)?

The quadratic approximation for ln(1.25) is accurate to within 0.00000001, which is the difference between the approximation and the actual value of ln(1.25).

5. What are the applications of using a quadratic approximation for ln(1.25)?

Quadratic approximations are commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to estimate values of functions that are difficult to evaluate directly. In this case, the quadratic approximation for ln(1.25) can be useful in calculating values related to natural logarithms, such as exponential growth and decay problems.